Monday, September 14, 2020

Running from Yankee Stadium to Wrigley Field

A few weeks ago, I wrote about a virtual 5K I ran, as Tony of Wrigley Roster Jenga was the race director.

I mentioned in that post how much I hate running, so I won't re-hash that. However, it's a cheap way for me to stay somewhat in shape as I get older, so I do it. Usually against my will. When I was younger someone told me: "never let your legs get old." I didn't listen.

One thing I realized though, is that when I run for a cause or have something to push me, it comes a little easier.

So when I got an email about the Yankees holding a virtual 5K of their own, I decided to register. For those who don't know, a virtual 5K is just like a regular one, but each participant does it on their own course on their own time. Runners don't gather at a park or in the streets for an early run. You clock 3.1 miles on your own, and usually upload your time to a website (if you choose).

The Yankees were also offering some cool swag for signing up. Check it out:
The medal is pretty cool, as is the shirt. It's actually a pretty nice shirt, and not one you might typically get for a 5K. You know, the ones with 500 local sponsors on the back.

So I got a bib, a shirt, and a finisher medal. And what was left of my entry fee when to Covid-19 outreach. Pretty cool! I did log my official time, although I wasn't pleased with it, as it was about 30 seconds slower than the time I ran for Tony Burbs' 5K. Boo, me!

Hoping to do another one, I googled "MLB virtual 5K" and found a slew of offerings. The Dodgers had one. So did the Giants. But ultimately, I settled on the Cubs, an event called "Race to Wrigley." This is an annual event where fans run in the area surrounding Wrigley Field, with the end of the run taking place in the stadium.

I thought this was a fitting event. About three weeks before the United States shut down for Covid-19, I was in a snow-covered Wrigley Field, taking part in a tour during NBA All-Star Weekend. That was really the last bit of travel I did before the pandemic. Even then, news of the virus was present. I saw people already masked up in the airport. Of course, I didn't expect the ensuing months to unfold the way they did. That trip now seems like it was about five years ago.

Once again, the entry fee covered a charitable donation. And once again, I received a package of swag, including a shirt, bib, bag, mask, and medal. I only plan to keep the medal. The shirt and bag will be going to a Cubs friend.
The run itself was one of my better ones. Maybe it was the cooler temperatures? Certainly possible. I was thinking during the run that I've been running all summer without much of an improvement on my time or stamina, so it was nice to run a quicker time than I previously had.

Maybe I'll do another virtual run this fall, but I'm definitely happy to have the Yankees and Cubs medal as a memory of this unforgettable summer. Plus, virtual 5Ks allowed me to do two runs in the state of Illinois that I wouldn't have run otherwise.

And that, in its own right, is pretty cool.

2 comments:

  1. AJ, I say only one thing. Better you than me. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to be a runner. Long time ago.

    I'll be expecting you to do 10K runs next summer.

    ReplyDelete