Friday, July 2, 2021

PWE Heat from Zippy Zappy

An unexpected PWE is still one of my favorite parts of this corner of the hobby.

I get a lot of PWEs, but most are from TCDB so I know what's inside. However, getting one in that familiar light blue pen, usually from the Luis Torrens Fan Club, is always something to get excited about. 

I'm talking about a Zippy Zappy PWE.

He has since apologized for not sending me one of his bombs, which is usually a flat rate box of goodies. Candidly, I'm relieved. Those are always very generous, but then I 1. Have to organize them and 2. Feel in debt. When the sender prefers not to get bulk in return, it always makes for tricky retribution. 

In this PWE, there were two cards. But both are <fire emoji>.
The first is a 2011 Bowman Sterling Refractor of soon-to-be-All-Star Gary Sanchez. It's numbered 057/199. Man, this card  is from 2011?! Gary has been around a long time. When he made his mark in 2016, this card would have fetched some serious cash. Gary is no longer a hobby darling and hasn't been in years, but I'm still a big fan of him despite his frustrating play. Look at how young Gary is here. He's got a whole lifetime of hitting .230 and playing bad defense in front of him.

It's also one of the nicest Bowman Sterling designs ever.
The next card is super cool. A 2016 Diamond Kings Elements of Royalty Game Used Bat card of Hall of Famer Tony Lazzeri. Now that is cool! Solid design, and Lazzeri is a guy I don't have much of in my collection outside of a few Diamond Kings card. I had nothing like this though!

ZZ, thanks as always for thinking of me!

6 comments:

  1. I agree I loved how sleek the 2011 Bowman Sterling design is, one of the most visually appealing sets that came out that year (and that's saying something considering how great Topps flagship was).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bat cards are nice. Bat cards of Hall of Famers are nicer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Owning a piece of a game-used bat from a hall of fame member of Murderers' Row is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's been a long time since I laid eyes on a 2011 Bowman Sterling card that doesn't have Vogelbach on it. LOL
    The Lazzeri relic card is really cool. He was actually on my needs list for the last card show I attended... needed an upgrade for the HOF binder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The relic looks really good for a Diamond Kings card.

    ReplyDelete