Tuesday, May 29, 2018

If you could donate a card to the Baseball HOF, what would you choose?


I stumbled upon this cool article on Sports Card Daily about the National Baseball Hall of Fame building a baseball card exhibit. My first thought was, “This doesn’t already exist?!” I know cards are featured throughout the exhibit, but I suppose they don’t have a place to call their own. I definitely plan on donating to this exhibit (click here), and please scroll to the end of this post to see how I’m going to do that with your help.

Sadly, I haven’t visited the HOF since 1996. I do intend to get back there at some point, as it’s not terribly far from where I grew up. I do want to take my kids there though, although I’m waiting until they are just a little bit older for that. They'd be a disaster there now.

Regardless, it got me thinking. If you could donate one item to the Baseball Hall of Fame for their card exhibit, what would it be? I've seen so many amazing cards/collections featured on these blogs, I know we could open up an exhibit on our our!

Mine would easily be my Topps Yankees Project, as I think it would be awesome to feature that within a glass case…although sort of sad I wouldn’t have it in my own possession. However, it’s what I’m most proud of as a collector. As a reminder, it’s a signed Yankees card from each Topps flagship set, 1951-2018, done entirely by me via through the mail (TTM) autograph collecting.

 
 
 
 
(I know 2018 is missing but I have it...just didn't have an updated image!)
 
So how about you? Which personal card(s) would you donate if you had the chance? If it’s something you’ve featured on your blog in the past, feel free to link it within your comment.

And since I feel strongly about this exhibit being part of the HOF, I’ll donate $1 to the exhibit for each response I get by Friday at 11:59pm ET (capped at $100).

11 comments:

  1. Very cool! I wonder if at some point they will actually start accepting some cards as donations. It is about time cardboard started getting some permanent love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I would donate a set of cards I make using the Rookies App of my high school baseball team that I coach. Each year I create a set of the full roster, have them printed and then give them away to the graduating seniors as a gift. They seem to really like them.
    There are two reasons why I would do this: 1) I think baseball cards are still very much a part of our culture, although that culture and their place in it is ever changing. The Rookies App (and guys like The Great Gavin) give the average Joe a chance to be featured on cardboard, which was not widely available until recent times. 2) My high school players will never make it into the HOF, but I think they would get a kick out of somehow being represented in the famous halls of Cooperstown.

    I haven't done a post on this and I don't think I will. Many school districts, including mine, frown on posting pictures of students and names on social media outlets

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have one card signed of everybody who played on the 67 Bosox Team. Including coaches

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd probably choose my Keith Comstock minor league card - the HOF has all sorts of historical cards in their collections - but do they have one where a guy is making like he's getting hit in the nut sack?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've visited the baseball Hall of Fame twice- in 1991 and 1999. I know I saw a display of baseball cards at least once, but maybe it was returned to the owner.

    I think I'd donate my 1951 Bowman cards of Bobby Thomson and Ralph Branca. I was planning on scanning the Thomson for my upcoming New York City post-but since you mentioned it, I'll add the Branca, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I vividly remember seeing every one of the 1975 Topps baseball cards on display during my first visit to the Hall of Fame as a 9 or 10 year old. I've been to the Hall of Fame 4 or 5 times and it's the one thing I remember most.

    I don't know what I'd donate. So much of my collection is personal and maybe not that relatable. I'd have to think about that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well I did just wonder what to do with all of those PC dupes, lol. NOT, those are trading goodies for the rest of my collecting life. I wouldn't have a clue what I would donate, but I would probably do something. Oh I know..........With everyone thinking vintage, I go the other way.

    That 1990 Donruss error for John Smoltz with Tom Glavine's photo, two for one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How about the 2018 Long Beach State Dirtbag
    Autographed card set. There are slot of Dirtbags in the majors

    ReplyDelete
  9. I suppose my 64 Topps Giant autographed Mantle is the one that would be best suited to it. Or the 52 Mize auto my Dad actually had signed at the Stadium in the 50s.

    I mean, I've got some big 50s cards and some big 70s rookies, but the Hall should already have those.

    I love Tom's idea of having customs of his HS players there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I guess I'd give up my T206 Honus Wagners. Neither of my children are interested, even thought they'd each get one. I'd rather see them in the Hall if I can't keep them in the family.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tough question. I don't think I have any historical cards they probably don't already have. Maybe a few of my factory error/damaged cards? They could show off how sometimes miscuts, blank backs, wrong backs, etc. accidentally get inserted into packs.

    ReplyDelete