Saturday, May 19, 2018

Not too slabby

I'm not a huge fan of graded cards.

I don't purchase enough high end or vintage cards to really be concerned about them. I do have a couple that I've gotten sent to me or purchased, and that's all well and good. With so few in my collection, they aren't easy to store and sort of stick out like a sore thumb.

However, there are instances where a graded, slabbed card is more affordable than unslabbed. For instance, in March, this same card, ungraded and #'d 1/5, sold or $35.99 on eBay. The bidder was not me.
I bought this same card, graded and #'d 2/5, for $1.99 + 3.99 shipping last week. That's quite a price swing for the same card. It's a 2013 Bowman Platinum Orange that was exclusive to the National Convention. I've had the regular version of this (Orange #'d to 125) for years, but the autograph /5 is fairly rare and I've only seen it pop up once or twice.

I think I scored quite the deal, especially compared to the person who purchased the ungraded version two months ago!


7 comments:

  1. Quite a savings there, just because it was slabbed and appraised. Congrats on getting a great deal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen the same thing happen too. I guess that maybe there's a tax on these graded things since they take up space? Either that or the seller is just really desperate to move them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You totally scored. Congrats. What a sweet card for an even sweeter price!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The other one might've sold for more simply because it was a #1. From what I've seen, there's a lot of people out there who just collect 1/ of whatever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. That was a steal. I don't know how much it takes to get a card graded these days, but sure the seller came out in the red after this deal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I collect cards that are the first in the run... but going with the #2 card at that price is a no-brainer. Congratulations on that purchase!

    ReplyDelete