Friday, September 7, 2018

A lesson learned through Hot Wheels

Earlier in this summer, my family and I made our annual trip to New Hampshire for a week-long vacation. Each time I'm there, I try to stop at a local card shop (All Sports Cards) that is about 15 minutes from where we stay.

This year, I dragged my son along. He needed to get out of the house, so I told him him if he came and he was good, that we would stop at a thrift store I found earlier that week and he could get a Hot Wheels. They had a ton of unopened ones when I was in the in the shop, as I went in to browse around while I waited for a takeout order next door.

They were all marked at $.50, so I told him he could spend a dollar.

Anyhow, we spent about 30 minutes in the card shop. We were the only ones there, but the owner said business was good because of Ohtani, Torres, and Acuna. I was glad to hear it.

I ended up spending $13, which isn't much. Less than a blaster. But it's in Red Sox country so there aren't a ton of Yankee singles. I bought a few packs of Series 2 for $2 each, as well as several of the $1 (buy one, get one free) grab bags I've previously blogged about. More on the contents of those below.

On the way back, we did stop at the thrift shop, only to find it was closed for the afternoon. My little buddy was disappointed, so I said we could drive to a Walmart that was five minutes away and he could spend his $1 on a Hot Wheels there.

Once we got there, we headed to the Hot Wheels aisle. They were all marked as $.94, so he could get one. He sat there deliberating, but then turned his attention to the hot wheels blind bags that were also $.94. He chose one of those.

I tried to talk him out of it. I asked why he wouldn't rather spend his $1 on a car he knows he'll like versus rolling the dice on one that might be a duplicate or one that he might not like as much as one he could pick out himself? He could control his own Hot Wheels destiny.

As I was explaining to him the pros and cons, it hit me like a ton of bricks. Why didn't I follow my own advice as it relates to cards? This is literally the exact scenario I just encountered at the card shop. Like him, I chose to "gamble" on blind bags...in this case, packs of cards and grab bags.

I could have taken that same $13 and got a card or two that I probably would have liked more than anything I pulled. I'm sure I could have found a neat card or two for my $13 that I would be more memorable than what's below.

It really affected me quite a bit, to the point where I really haven't bought any packs this summer other than a single pack of Big League and a Walgreen's repack. I know I'm not done buying packs forever, it's too ingrained in me as a card collector. However, it is about spending my money more wisely and not gambling on packs as much. $20 on a blaster, or $20 on a few Yankees cards that have a better place in my collection? While I feel I have the financial means to not be as frugal, this is a hobby for me and I try and stay on a fairly strict budget. I have a family to support and life goals to save for, after all.

Sure, I miss the thrill of opening packs, but as someone who NEVER pulls rare cards, I think this move is quite a bit smarter.

All of this thanks to my son opening my eyes when deciding on what Hot Wheels to buy.

As for the $13 worth of cards from the shop, here's what I came away with:
I have to say, the foil D-Backs card is amazing. While I don't care for the team, the foil really makes the fireworks pop!
The grab bags didn't yield much either, but they are fun to open and are a great price.
The most memorable part of the shopping trip, other than the lesson learned, was getting to take my cards home in a Topps bag.
Something tells me if I spent $13 a little more wisely, I could have changed that. And I probably still would have gotten the Topps bag.

7 comments:

  1. I'm a team collector at heart, but love ripping packs, too. I was buying repacks for a while to scratch the itch, but now I just have a bunch of junk wax, haha. In the grand scheme of things, $13 isn't a whole lot, but hindsight is 20/20. And of course, if you had hit something, you'd be going back for more. Tough call sometimes.

    Is the Banks available?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fair point. The $13 was a drop in the bucket, but I still think the lesson applies regardless of what I spent. But like you said, if I pulled something amazing maybe I’m singing a different tune. However, my track record buying packs is truly abysmal.

      The Banks was already sent to another collector. Sorry!

      Delete
  2. Now, as punishment, um I mean reward to the young lad. Let him spend $13.00 on Hot Wheels, lol. As for me, I really need to stick to buying specific cards and stay away from the packs, and blasters. I just can't though. I've had some very nice pulls over the years, especially this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I came to the same realization as you a few years ago. I'd rather spend my hard earned money on specific singles or sets, than gamble on unopened packs. But every now and then, I need to scratch that itch and bust some packs. Sounds like you and your son have a similar itch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with John, give your offspring another $12 ($13 total) to spend on toy cars.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm getting there myself. I can't not open packs because that's a big part of the fun and with cards you can trade. Not sure if your son can trade hot wheels with others at school. But, I'm not buying blasters if I know I want a hobby box and I often won't buy boxes if I could get the pieces for a lot less (even if I never actually buy the pieces either).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Buying singles is just as a big a thrill for me as buying wax. I haven't opened a hobby box since 2012.

    ReplyDelete