Sunday, July 26, 2020

I know I'm jinxing it

I'm expecting a really big year from Giancarlo Stanton.

I know, I know. It's only been two games. Even though his two home runs have traveled nearly a combined 1,000 feet, I know I shouldn't get this excited about about how he looks early on.

It's why I picked up this card a week before the season started. Because it just seems like Stanton is primed to have a huge year.
He's been unfairly treated in NY. In 2018, coming off his 59 homer season, he hit 38 while carrying the offense for much of the summer while playing last less than 100%. Yet, somehow it wasn't enough.

Last year, he was limited to just 18 games, which is always the elephant in the room with Stanton. Not if he'll get hurt, but when.

And that sucks. By all accounts he's a likable guy and a great teammate. He doesn't want to get hurt and not be out there. The worst thing that he's ever done was sign a giant contract, then veto a trade to a place he didn't want to go. It didn't help that he joined the Yankees after Aaron Judge's 52-homer season, as some Yankee fans felt like it was with Stanton or Judge and they had to side with the homegrown star. Which is silly. There's enough love to go around for both.

It reminds me of this friend I have who refuses to watch A Christmas Story because he's all about Christmas Vacation. I keep telling him it's not one or the other. It's ok to like them both. But he can't seem to get past that it's a competition and he needs to pick a side, and it's making him miss out.

Back to the card. There aren't a ton of Stanton autographs in Yankees uniforms yet, so I opted for a lowly Marlins one. I liked that it was on-card. There were a lot of stickers that were a bit more affordable, although my best offer brought this card down significantly. Plus, I funded this mostly with eBay bucks.

So while I am enjoying the quick start by Stanton, I do keep expecting to read that he strained his calf rounding the bases or something. Because that's how it goes with Stanton.

But if he can stay healthy, his name will be up there in the MVP talk after this 60-game sprint.

6 comments:

  1. I feel like there were A's fans back in the 80's who were like that with McGwire and Canseco. Although I liked Canseco more, I had no problem collecting and rooting for McGwire.

    As for Stanton... as a baseball fan, I'd love to see him bounce back. I feel the same way as a collector, because I have a rare parallel of his rookie card that I'd love to see soar in value ;D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always liked Stanton. He is an entertaining player to watch, hope he bounces back too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stanton can hit no doubt. Have to think if he and Judge can stay healthy the sky is the limit. Nice card.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think the dinger he hit landed yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice card. I feel like Judge is Stanton lite in regards to their talents and injury histories. I'm hoping Stanton can continue to crush this year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If he can stay healthy he can win the MVP. He is scary strong and wickedly talented.
    Somewhat related: can he mash breaking stuff, too? It seems like every pitch he obliterates is a fastball.

    ReplyDelete