Monday, July 27, 2020

TCDB brings the heat

Some of the most exciting times for me on Trading Card Database are when I am able to add some new cards in my "for trade" inventory. 

This is usually a ritual I have if I'm able to get my paws on some current product. Thats when the trade offers fly in. Mostly on current card releases and people trying to finish off sets.

The other day I was able to bust two blasters of 2020 Topps Series 2 via an Amazon Prime purchase. I know that may sound outrageous for some of you, but it's actually quote convenient and simple. I don't have to go to the Target cesspool just to find the shelves completely wiped. And for around the same cost, the boxes show up on my doorstep. I'd rather spend $23 in a blaster that showed up at my door than $21+ and going to Target.

I don't want to not open some new stuff because it's not available to me. I just had to change my purchasing habits. So far, it's worked for me for Bowman, Big League, and Series 2. Easy peasy.

Anyhow, for those of you having trouble making trades on TCDB, that's the best advice I can give. Add some new stuff if you've got it. And add some cards to your wantlist. When I only had Tino on my wantlist, I got few to no offers. When I added Gleyber and a few Yanks from current sets, I had a lot more luck.

Back to Series 2. It was nice to open a few packs, although I have to say the checklist is one of the worst I've ever seen. Just putrid. I know there is Luis Robert and the Cutch SP, but it's a very uninspiring checklist. I wasn't even that excited for my first Gerrit Cole since there was an easy-to-acquire SP in Series 1. Made it less exciting for Series, that's for sure.

Each blaster comes with Manu-coin relic thingies. I pulled a Fernando Tatis /199 and a Eloy Jimenez. Two solid pulls.
I put them both on the site to see if they attracted any offers. If not, no biggie. I'd sit on them and put them away for a box at a later date.

One offer came in for Eloy, and it was this:
Now we're cookin'.

I actually did wrestle with it. I do think Eloy is going to be a major star. But that's sort of the point of pulling cards like this. Not to sit on it and hope it goes from and $8 card to a $15 card on the open market. The point, for me, is to trade it for something I'd rather have.

And at this moment in time, I'd rather have a Jasson Dominguez card.

So I pulled the trigger and accepted. I like that most TCDB are done via PWE, but the Eloy was too thick. So off it went in a bubble mailer. The seller was kind of enough to also send the Jasson in a bubble mailer as well.

Honestly, I'll be thrilled one day if Dominguez is half the player Eloy Jiminez is. Maybe he'll be better. Maybe he won't. But this was a good trade for me. And just like a good baseball trade, each side gave up something of value.

I wasn't expecting to get a recent Dominguez on TCDB, but you never know unless you put yourself out there. I';m happy with how it ended.

  

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on the trade. I think that's been my issue is that I haven't got much if anything in a want like and my for trade cards are probably something along the lines of 1987 Topps Mike Greenwells. That's not really true, I think there is some Ripken (11 cards) and other HOFers. But there are some 2019 cards. Oh well. I'm glad you got a card you wanted. That's what it's all about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One guy who forgot the 'r' in Elroy and another who added an extra 's' to Jason. Society is crumbling around me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel ya on Eloy. I found some cheap 1st Bowmans on Sportlots and bought them all. Normally I don't do things like that, especially when I'm trying to cut back on spending... but they were too cheap to pass up.

    ReplyDelete