Thursday, October 12, 2017

Enjoying the NOW



I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t still a bit stunned from the Yankees come back from down 0-2 to take down the defending AL Champion Cleveland Indians.

This was supposed to be a rebuilding year, although I don’t share the mindset that everything from here on out is gravy. I’m a believer of re-calibrating expectations. If you’re good enough to make the post-season, you’re good enough to win it all. It just takes getting hot at the right time.

Regardless, the season has been a lot of fun, especially with the emergence of so many good, young players. Aaron Judge, despite his troubles at the plate this series, Gary Sanchez, Didi Gregorius, Greg Bird, Luis Severino. These guys have the potential to form a very competitive nucleus for the next few years.

More than that, they’re having fun while still making Yankee fans proud. From thumbs down to Didi’s post-game tweets, it’s a very likeable bunch, which seems to be annoying some non-Yankee fans. While the teams of the 90s were all business, there are different blueprints to achieving the same goal. And I’m fine if this team is less traditional than what I’m accustomed to.

I expect another very tough series versus the Astros, and I hope the Yankees can win four more and advance to the World Series. That’d really be something.

For now, I’m going to take it game by game and enjoy the ride. And speaking for ‘now’, Here are a few recent Topps NOW cards that arrived over the last couple of weeks. I haven’t been buying as many of these to give my poor wallet a break, although I may have to pick up one or two later today.

4 comments:

  1. I'm sure it is hard to prioritize which ones to buy as a Yanks fan. This year has been fun as they continue to make subtle improvements with the cards. My favorites have been the ones with the unique backs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Severino is a STUD. I hadn't watched him pitch live before until last game. 100mph at 100 pitches?! Reminds me of Verlander in his prime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This team already has the best of it's window of opportunity ahead of them, they just opened it faster than expected.

    What's even scarier is that all it takes is one or two more players from the minors in the next 1-10 years to keep that window open (like how Cano extended the Core Five era Yankees window). And they have the farmsystem and money to make it happen. WOOF!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Yankees should be a juggernaut for the next decade especially if they get one of the young free agents after 2018 season.

    ReplyDelete