Sunday, November 18, 2018

Landing a Japan-Fractor

I first heard about Japan refractors from Zippy Zappy over at Torres Up Cards. I don't quite remember the context, but I remember being surprised to see these existed. (Kenny, I looked for a bit but was unable to find your post. Or maybe it was a Twitter post. I don't know). Maybe it was a Gary Sanchez card?

I wasn't quite sure where these existed (other than Japan, duh) or how frequently they were inserted into packs, but it was cool to know they were out there. Never did I think I'd land one of one of the main guys I collect.

Every couple of days I take a look at my Ty Hensley saved search on eBay. Usually it consists of stuff I already have, plus some ridiculously over-prized Rize brand cards from the same seller. I wish I could just ignore all of those from my saved search. They've been listed for years and never budge.

Anyways, once every blue moon a Hensley pops up I need - a printing plate or a low numbered autograph. Usually, they are over-priced because YANKEES 1ST ROUND PICK!

But like I said, once in a blue moon a card comes by that wows me. This was one of those times.

I was shocked when a 2012 Bowman Sterling Japan-Fractor popped up. I have a ton of the regular Bowman Sterling autographs, as well as the refractor and gold refractor. But this! This I had no idea it even existed. And it was numbered to just 5. With a starting bid of .99.

I immediately bid and placed a $12 bid. After a few days, someone outbid me. I was worried it might be someone who goes hard after these Japan-fractors. I bid it back up with a max bid of $25, thinking I would go a little higher since I'd likely never see this card again. Luckily, it ended at $13 and I was the winner. It showed up Saturday!

According to Cardboard Connection, these were actually the debut set of the Japan-Fractor, and "Japan-Fractor" is actually the name of the parallel. I wasn't sure if that was made up, but it looks to be the actual given name.

At the time, I assume these looked incredibly unique. Don't get me wrong, they still look great, but I also think I've seen this refractor design on a few cards now. Here's an example:
They also mostly look blue online, but they are a lot more silver in person. I've had a hard time seeing the blue I was expecting.

Still, for a player collector, nothing is better when I rare card like this comes out of nowhere and you're able to score it for a few bucks. Next to my SuperFractor, I have to say that this might be next in line as the crown jewel of my Ty Hensley collection.

7 comments:

  1. These were a new fun parallel when they were first released. Those Bowman Sterlings in particular were seeded at basically one per box (I bought a box and pulled a Gary Brown base *fart noise*). Then it appeared again Sterling 2013, as well as Bowman Platinum 2014, before Topps opted to go more towards having entire products exclusive to Japan/Asia like Bowman and various high-end sets.
    But since then they've been used as parallels for domestic products and the design itself has lost it's luster. It doesn't even have the original /5, /25 or /35 serial numbers anymore.

    As for my post it was from around 2014. https://cervinupcards.blogspot.com/2014/09/introducing-japan-fractor.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, that's the post! And I knew it was Gary Sanchez! Glad my memory served me at least a little there. Thanks for the background on these cards.

      Delete
  2. The Hensley card shows about every color of the rainbow. Congrats on the big get!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on adding that beautiful card to your collection! Your scanner or camera did an amazing job of capturing that card's shine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice looking card! ..though yeah, Topps/Bowman seems to have been driving that refractor design into the ground in recent years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool addition for your player collection!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the japanfractor. It's a cool looking design.

    ReplyDelete