Saturday, April 6, 2019

Boredom

I know we all go through it here and there. I do. But this time feels a little different.

I'm bored with collecting.

I think it's because I don't really have a focus right now. I'm still picking up Tino Martinez or Ty Hensley cards when I can, including this one that set me back a little over a buck after the $3 eBay coupon. It's not a particularly special card, and the jersey swatch is tiny and underwhelming, but it's one I didn't have for my collection.
I can't quite put my finger on it, but it's just a bit of a melancholy or uninspired feeling right now when it comes to collecting. Even when I snag a blaster, which I've still been doing, it's just sort of a 5-minute, uninspiring feeling. Open cards, look at them, set them in a pile that remains untouched for a while. Just going through the motions.

I'm not sure what I need to do to snap out of it. Maybe a set will come along that I enjoy, or a new prospect will emerge that I'll start collecting. I did just snag a bunch of 2017 Yankees first rounder Clarke Schmidt, and then he went out and out-pitched last years #1 overall pick in his season debut.

Maybe I'll send some more TTMs, although it feels like dwindling success rates are also to blame for this lackluster time. Plus those damn $.55 stamps.

Even when checking online marketplaces for cards, my next search term is "golf clubs" because it's been more fun to try and find a nice set that someone is unloading. In fact, I just got a pair of really nice Taylormade irons for $40 that someone was getting rid of.

Anyways, this is just becoming whiny, so I'll stop here. I'm sure I'll snap out of it soon, and maybe I need to fire up trading again or send a few "just because" packages to make things a little more exciting.

Most of us go through it, and most of us snap out of it. I look forward to that happening soon.

8 comments:

  1. I hope you do snap out of it, or if not, maybe you'll find something else you enjoy.

    I've had a brief bout of collecting malaise recently. I'm so busy cataloging my cards that I don't feel any need to buy new ones. The only new product that interests me is $200+ out of my price range, and I haven't been in the mood to trade or rip retail packs or even write about cards. It'll come back though. It always does.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It comes and goes for all of us. Too many new players, new products, etc. Hopefully you keep blogging because I enjoy your content.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude. Was it that Sonny Gray card I sent? Sorry. It kind of feels slow all around. Hope you do find or get something to spark it back up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you have any card organizing or wantlist updating to do? Sometimes that can help because you end up looking through cards in your collection that you haven't seen in ages.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Obviously, you know we all get there sometimes. I think I fight with it weekly. Here are a few ideas to bust you out:
    1. Trading Card Database. I don't remember if you are on there or not but entering a player collection on there and seeing the stats or if you are #1 on the site can spark some enthusiasm.
    2. Home Run Challenge cards. Make some trades or cheap purchases and try to win on some of Topps Contest cards this year. I love it.
    3. Go to a game. Majors, minors, any game you can make it to. It always fuels the fire for me.
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your thoughts. TCDB might be a good solve! I've been thinking about it for some time, just hesitant to have another "thing."

      Delete
  6. This seems to be going around. Personally, I think it has a lot to do with the never ending stream of new products that Panini and Topps keep putting out, I mean even if you're not interested (and most of us aren't) in these near-daily new releases, it still feels like you're always being slightly suffocated.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Been there before... multiple times. I feel the same way... but for me it really only has to do with newer cards. My solution has been to keep an eye out for young stars and track their progress. But even that hasn't really made me want to go out and buy new product.

    P.S. Golf is an excellent side hobby. I was just thinking that at some point I need to go out there and test out my back by playing 9 holes.

    ReplyDelete