Thursday, April 4, 2019

Signed Chicken Man RC!

Wade Boggs has been a pretty good TTM signer these last few years. Probably 6-7 years ago, he'd sign a card or two with no fee. Then he started requesting $5, which still wasn't bad given that he's a Hall of Famer and one of the greatest hitters of all time.

After a while, he stopped signing for $5, and started charging his present-day rate of $10. Still not unreasonable.

About a year or two ago, I sent him his 1983 RC with $5 to sign, and I got it back unsigned, along with the $5. I had missed out on the window when he was signing for $5, but at least the card and money were returned.

They sat together in my "outgoing" TTM box for awhile, the $5 bill still wrapped around the card. I'd get around to sending it one day, I told myself. Just need another 5 bucks.

I notoriously don't carry cash. I don't like to. It has nothing to do with being in NYC all day or anything, I just prefer to use my debit card. I use my debit card on everything, even purchases that are only a few bucks. Maybe that's annoying to people, but it's just my preference.

Anyhow, I did happen to have a $10 recently, and broke it on a cup of coffee. Amongst the change I received was a crisp $5 bill. I decided to take that new $5, and add it to the other $5 I still had, and send to Boggs again.

This time....success!
It's pretty cool to have a signed RC of a HOFer!

9 comments:

  1. Do you know if he's donating the money?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome success. I never got him to sign a BOS era card for me though so it's cool to see him sign his RC for you.

    "Anyhow, I did happen to have a $10 recently, and broke it on a cup of coffee."
    You could've just switched the $10 bill with the $5 you've had wrapped around the card for a while and used that for your coffee.
    Also, don't some stores only accept cards if you pay $10+ or else they add a surcharge or something?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably a good point, but being that I'm super bored with cards and collecting right now, my mind didn't immediately go there and connect the dots.

      Delete
  3. $10 is a steal of a deal. I already have the Topps rookie card signed, but maybe I'll send him a copy of his Donruss and Fleer rookie cards.

    ReplyDelete