Thursday, January 2, 2020

RIP Don Larsen

Don Larsen passed away yesterday at the age of 90. Best known for his 1956 World Series perfect game, Larsen was often lumped in with other Yankee legends despite not having the credentials of the Mount Rushmoresque players.

But that's what happens when you endear yourself to a fanbase. There are the no-doubt HOFers, and then there are the fanbase Hall of Famers. Larsen was one of those.

I was lucky enough in 2006 to attend a function where the 50th anniversary of Larsen's perfect game was honored. It was very cool to hear him speak about the game, and also share the stage with others who have thrown perfect games. Yogi was there. David Cone was there. So were a collection of other greats.

I have a few Larsen cards in my collection, including a certified autograph that I paired with a Yogi Berra from the same set.
I also have a signed ball from that evening's event, which I'll always cherish.
One of my favorites is a TTM autograph from Larsen, which I received quite a long time ago. Probably in the late 90s, I'd say? From such a great set too.
It's always sad to lose a baseball legend. RIP, Mr. Larsen.

3 comments:

  1. Nice cards and ball. I was sad to learn of his passing. I'd like that feat never to be repeated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Finest Moments autographs look amazing together! Like you stated... it's always sad to lose a baseball legend. He pitched before my time, but I definitely knew of him from very early on as a collector.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That must have been so cool, to have been at that function.

    ReplyDelete