Friday, December 18, 2020

Slow down

As a kid, I remember how slowly December went. It crawled. Every day felt like a week. To get to the third pink Advent candle was an eternity.

Now as an adult, it couldn't be different. December comes and go with the blink of an eye, and all of a sudden it's a week from Christmas and I have no idea where the time went.

Luckily my wife and I do a pretty good job of starting our shopping around October 1 each year, buying a gift or two per week for the kids. It really does help take the stress off of worrying about cramming all of our shopping into the end of December.

One added stress of December is work. While I'm very grateful to be working and busy, this month has proved to be one of the busiest I can remember. There is little time for blogging, collecting, or generally just participating in the hobby.

Luckily a few cards are trickling in, but the highlight for me recently was this auction win of Hall of Fame Floyd Little's rookie card. As a Syracuse guy, I probably appreciate Little's career more than most. He was the third of three great running backs to change the tide of Syracuse football in the 50s-70s. No comment on the current state of affairs.
His NFL career was excellent, although his numbers don't really stack up to current running backs, but it was a different game back then. It's unfortunate that when the greats are discussed, his name barely surfaces. Perhaps it does amongst Broncos fans, but even the biggest of football fans have little to say about Little.

Unfortunately, his health is failing him these days, as he has entered hospice care. Cancer. I hope he has a peaceful December, and that time slows down for him as well.

4 comments:

  1. Totally agree about December speeding up with age. I think the idea of waiting to rip open presents as a kid played a role in slowing things down... while wanting my holiday break to last as long as it can plays a role in speeding things up these days.

    Sad to hear about Mr. Little's current situation. Hope he is comfortable and not experiencing any pain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a Chiefs fan I remember Floyd Little very well. He was great player for the Broncos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whole years feel like they're speeding by for me... and I don't much care for it!

    ReplyDelete