Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Vintage Bowman on a fine Wednesday



I picked up two vintage Bowman cards on Listia recently.

The apple of my eye was the 1950 Bowman Gus Niarhos. He was a backup catcher for the Yankes in the late 40s, and upon looking up his stats, he played in my hometown of Binghamton in A-ball during the 1942 season. Interestingly, the card back says he was born in 1921, but everything else I read said he was born in 1920.

The same seller offered this 1953 Bowman color Ned Garver as well. I hadn’t heard of Garver, but he was actually pretty good. In 1951, he went 20-12 for the Browns and made the All-Star team. He hit 7 HRs in his career as well…not shabby. The card is well-loved, but if any of my Tigers friends or vintage-loving friends are interested in the card, let me know. If not, I’m glad to have it, as I don’t think I have any other 1953 Bowman color cards. 

1 comment: