Wednesday, February 7, 2018

They come in bunches



I’m on a little roll with picking up some new Tino Martinez cards.

I’ve found it goes in waves. I might go months without finding new ones on eBay, but then they start coming in bunches. That’s the way it works, I guess.

Both of these Tinos feature him on the “wrong teams”. If I had to rank Tino being featured on cardboard, I’d have to go 1. Yankees, 2. Mariners, 3. Cardinals, 4. Devil Rays.
This is a confusing set to me, because I feel like there are endless variations and relic combos. I always stumble upon new ones, which I guess is ok. There are jersey swatches, number/letter patches, bats, bat knobs, jumbo swatches, dual/triple/quad relics, tags, buttons, autographs, etc. That’s a lot of variation!

This particular Tino is a jersey number patch. The swatch is almost entirely patch, with the exception of a little piece of white in the lower right corner. It would be in impossible to decipher where it’s actually from on his number. I’ll say a 2…or a 4. The card is #’d 11/45, which is an odd print run.

Speaking of odd print runs, the next is another low numbered card, #’d to 79. It’s from 2003 Donruss Elite, and is an Aspirations parallel.
The card is very oddly-shaped, with random die cuts all over the place. If you like symmetry, this card is not for you. I do like the blue with the red though.

These two Tinos bring me to 835 different. Onward!

4 comments:

  1. You are right about 2005 Prime Patches. That set will drive you nuts if you ever try to complete it. The numbering will also drive you bat shit crazy. /38 /51 etc....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://bobwalktheplank.blogspot.com/2016/09/bulk-buy.html

      Delete
  2. 2005 Prime Patches is an insane set. I tried for getting all the different versions of Jason Bay, but that wasn't going to happen.

    That 03 Elite is sweet

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Elite Aspirations print runs are based on the player's jersey numbers. Tino's number that year was 21 and the print run was 79. When you add the two together it equals 100. The Elite Status parallels were printed to the player's jersey number, so Tino only has 21 Status parallels in that set. Lol. Hope I didn't confuse you. Basically when you combine a player's Status and Aspirations parallels, they total exactly 100.

    ReplyDelete