Saturday, March 30, 2019

If you are what they say you are, a Superstar

Back when 2019 Topps Series One came out, I pulled a Lorenzo Cain Brewers photo variation SP. Matt of Summer of '74  was interested in the card, so I shot it his way and told him to send me a Judge autograph in return...or at least something Yankee-related when he got to it.

A few weeks later he said he had something cool to send me, and he was right!

I opened his PWE to find these six cards. I had never seen them!
I consider myself somewhat capable of using Google, but all I can really find are that these are from 1980 TCMA. There are a few listed on COMC, including non-Yanks like Hank Aaron, Roberto Clemente, and Sandy Koufax.

I think they are great looking cards, and wasn't quite sure if they actually were vintage or a modern day reprint. For the record, I am one who does consider 1980 as "vintage."

Matt, these are really cool and I thank you. It's always fun to open up a card package and out fall cards you've never seen!

3 comments:

  1. Very cool pieces of cardboard. Seems like the past year or so, I've stumbled across a lot of cool TCMA sets on peoples' blogs. As for vintage, I cut things off at 1979. Oh well... we each gotta draw the line somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought both series (the yellow series and the red series) as a little kid, around 1983 or so. I never knew anything about them, since they don't say who made them. The Trading Card Database has called them "Seckeli Superstar" sets, but has removed that name from the yellow series and just calls it "1980 Superstars" now. It still lists the red series as "1982 Seckeli Superstar." No idea who Seckeli was.

    ReplyDelete