Tuesday, February 4, 2020

The King and I

I recently picked up a 2019 Bowman Chrome autograph of Michael King, a Yankees pitching prospect who came to them in a 2017 trade with the Marlins for Garrett Cooper and Caleb Smith. The big reason the Yankees made the deal was for international bonus pool money to make a run at Ohtani. Well, the Yankees didn't get him and Smith has emerged into a pretty solid starter for Miami.

Could this be a rare instance where the Brian Cashman comes out on the losing end of a deal? Well, the Yanks may not end up with the short end of the stick here, as King has developed into a better prospect than originally imagined.

He had a solid year for in the Marlins system in 2017, but became a bonafide prospect for NY in 2018 after going 11-5 with an ERA under 2.00 and climbing from A+ to AAA. King looked like he was ready to be a force in NY in 2019, but arm issues forced him out in spring training and he didn't return until late last summer.

I was getting ready to say that he should debut in the Bronx this year, but I had totally forgotten that he made one appearance for the Yanks last September, throwing 2 shutout innings. So he got the debut out of the way!

If the Yankees ever do find a way to unload JA Happ, King would be a possible replacement in the rotation. Therefore, I felt like getting his autograph for under $5 shipped was a good plan now in case he blows up in NY.

If he does, the headlines will certainly write themselves.


4 comments:

  1. I definitely hope he develops into a good pitcher. I've been rooting for him as I was at his debut in September against the Rangers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cashman did make a bad deal with the Pirates in 2012. AJ Burnett flourished once he got away from NY.

    King has a simple name and a simple signature.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't see myself rooting for King since he's a Yankee... but if he turns out to be a star, I'll happy for you and your collection.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The auto isn't half bad either. I can actually make out his name (to some degree). Nice pickup!

    ReplyDelete