Saturday, February 22, 2020

Touring Wrigley Field

Last weekend, I was in Chicago. After a few cocktails on Saturday night, I went back to my hotel room and realized that Sunday was a pretty light day for me, and that I should take a ride out to Wrigley Field, just to see the old park. I then had a crazy idea to google whether or not they did ballpark tours, and was happy to find they had a few openings for Sunday tours. I chose the 10am, which would run for a little over an hour. It cost $30.

I snagged an Uber and started the 4-mile, 12-minute drive. I got there about 20 minutes early, and this was the first thing I saw:
The famous sign. I know that for most this might invoke memories of Harry Carey, but for me, it means John Candy, the announcer in Rookie Of The Year. Sorry, I grew up in the 90s.

The only real bummer is that there was a fence and scaffolding around it, as the Cubs are making upgrades to their press box.
I then walked a few feet to the left and took in the Ernie Banks statue.
We had to meet our tour guide in the Cubs team store. Cool to be in there, but nothing for me. Still, I liked looking at some of the awards on display.
The tour started by entering a gate toward left field, right off of the famous Waveland Avenue.
After going through the metal detector, the very first stop was to walk up the steps in left field and take in Wrigley for the first time.
Pretty cool! Obviously bummed to see snow all over the field, but that was expected. Also as expected, the ivy was dormant.
The tour goes through three different clubs within the ballpark. The first was The W Club, where we probably got our longest history lesson of the day. Did you know the Cubs were originally intended to be called the Chickens? I didn't grab a picture for whatever reason, but you can see the Cubs batting cage through a window in the club.
Next stop was the famous(?) 1914 Club. I had never heard of it. It smelled kind of weird. It's a prohibition-style club made to look like it's straight out of The Great Gatsby.
Before heading to the final club, we were given a look around the visitor's clubhouse. I can see why opposing players aren't fond of the amenities. It was basically a high school locker room, and that's after it was recently remodeled. Seems pretty silly to jam 25-member teams plus coaches and personnel into here. I couldn't get a great photo of the full room because a few other tour members were in the picture.
The final club on the tour was the Makers Mark Barrel Room, which was neat. What's also cool is that you can swing open pictures on the wall and peep at the opposing team's batting cage.
The final stop on the tour is the first base dugout and the field! While I enjoyed being there, it wasn't until stepping onto the field that I had an "oh shit" moment.

Like everything else, the dugout is super small and cramped.
The tour lasted about 75 minutes. I hope to go back for a game at some point, but I'm really glad I got out and about and did this.

It was definitely $30 well spent!


12 comments:

  1. Awesome photos and recollection. We had a different tour to you but perhaps it depends on the guide and time of year or something? Still, though, very neat you got to do it. & thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I'm jealous. That's a very cool experience, and I appreciate the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. $30 well spent! You took some great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bummed to see snow on the field? I think those photographs are so cool! Thanks for sharing your tour experience. Hope to one day go on the tour myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks awesome. Looks like a great time,

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an experience! One I hope to have one day. You'll always be glad you took the time. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a great time! Bummer the press box wasn't available. We got to see it when I took the tour years ago. We got to see the Cubs clubhouse too, though that was before they built the new one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wrigley in the Winter. The sign, Ferris Buehler.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great pictures/post! That's baseball history right there. Seems like the alcoholic beverage companies are having more and more influence over the naming of various parts of our ballparks. I definitely see it at Dodger Stadium.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been on the tour a couple of times and it's nice. You got visit a couple of areas which would be new to me. May have to go again!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been to ballpark tours in Baltimore and St. Louis. Both, fortunately, were not in winter.

    ReplyDelete