Tuesday, November 4, 2014

The Michael Pineda stock market


With the two new Michael Pinedas above, I'm sitting at 85 unique Pineda cards. My goal was to get to 100 by the end of the year. I could probably do that easily on COMC or Sportslots if I wanted to, but I've been picking up one or two at a time through trades or on eBay. Maybe I should just go through and make a cheap purchase of 15-20 that I don't have.

But it's hard.

Pineda's cards fluctuate in price more than any player I've ever focused on.

He has had a weird career, card-wise. His prices were high when he was first dealt to the Yankees. I'm assuming they were pretty high during his 2011 rookie season, but he was a Mariner and never crossed my mind as a possible PC guy. Once dealt to the Yanks, I picked up a few of his cards.

But then he got hurt.

His prices dropped. They dropped even more when he spent two years injured and/or in the minors. Many wondered if he'd ever pitch for the Yankees, myself included. Then he made the rotation in 2014, and pitched very well out of the gate. His prices went up. Quickly. Then there was pinetargate, a 10-game suspension, and ultimately a shoulder injury set him back once again. Thinking his early season success was just a blip, his prices went back down. I swooped in.

Then he came back toward the end of the season, pitched very well again, and was pine tar free (or at least he hid it like a normal pitcher). His card prices went up again, somewhat unreasonably actually.

So what's the future hold for Michael Pineda and his volatile cardstock? I have no idea. He's showed that when healthy, he's one of the best pitchers in the game. But he just seems like a guy who won't stay healthy.

It's going to make for a very interesting PC over the next few years.

5 comments:

  1. Health is a tool just like a good arm or batting eye. Sometimes players can get past initial injury issues and have a great career (Paul Molitor comes to mind). Most of the time, though, they end up like Jeffrey Hammonds.

    Next year is pretty important in Pineda's development in that regard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is. Very important. Would love to see 140-150 healthy innings.

      Delete
  2. I have a feeling the Yankees might try to load up on free agent starters this year as backup plans. I'm pulling for Pineda to get back on track. Never like to see someones career get derailed by injury.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt they'll be players for the top guys, but could see a few mid/back-end starters.

      Delete
  3. This has happened quite a bit these past few years with virtually every former top prospect who made it to the majors but either struggled a bit or got hurt. Every time Bryce Harper is on the DL a bunch of people go after his cards since they'll be cheaper then as opposed to when he's just hit 9-home runs in three games.

    In any case if Pineda can show he can stay healthy next year I wouldn't count on seeing the prices for his cards going down again (at least not as drastically). Unless it's the slow dead period known as the off season.

    ReplyDelete