Tuesday, September 26, 2017

50!

I probably wouldn't have believed you if you told me during spring training that Aaron Judge would join the 50-HR club this season. I've seen many Yankee fans say they would have been happy if he hit .250 with 25 HRs. By all accounts, that would be a very successful first full campaign.

But to hit 50 and break Mark McGuire's (j/k, I know it's McGwire, but it's been funny seeing how many people have misspelled his name on Twitter over the last day) record? I wouldn't have thought.

And on the flip side, to have Cody Bellinger break the NL rookie HR record as well? Quite the feat for the young sluggers. Juiced ball or not, it's an impressive accomplishment.

As I've previously mentioned, I've been a bit addicted to adding Aaron Judge Topps NOW cards. However, my one complaint is how many of them look exactly the same.

That's why I liked this one from Citi Field, honoring a blast he hit there. Most of the time, the cards are a close up of the at bat, but I like mixing it up a little.
I'm sure today's card featuring his 50th will be a close-up of the at bat, but I'd love it if it were the curtain call he received after breaking the record.

Here are a few more Judge's that have come in over the last few weeks. Not much variety, but I'm still glad to have them.
This would have been a cool front.
Congrats to Aaron on his historic season!

7 comments:

  1. The card you lead off with here is phenomenal - that image reminds me of the cover of the first Sports Illustrated! It's awesome to see Judge take down Mark's record - he's going to be a marquee player for a long time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want Judge and Stanton to play on the same team. Make it happen Yankees!!!!

    Like you, I'm addicted to the NOW cards as well. Definitely far from perfect, but the good outweighs the bad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The next couple of months will be dominated by Judge vs Altuve discussions for the MVP award and it will be dreadful.

    Fun season from Judge though overall :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it'll be much of a discussion. Seems like Altuve has a pretty good grasp on it. I doubt the voters will be able to overlook the putrid post-Allstar stretch or the 200+ Ks. Hope I'm wrong though.

      Delete
  4. First the 20 game winning streak. Now McGwire's 49 home runs during his rookie season. A's records are falling faster than Trumps popularity rating among NFL players.

    ReplyDelete