Friday, May 15, 2020

Be careful what you comment on...

... because it might just come true!

A few weeks back, I made an innocent comment on one of Collecting Cutch's post about - shockingly - Andrew McCutchen.

He was showing off a few McCutchen Yankees autographs (yes, there are a few out there). I really enjoyed Cutch's 1.5 months as a Yankee. It was awesome to see him in NY rocking the Pinstripes, although it was hot garbage he couldn't wear 22 because the corpse of Jacoby Ellsbury still had it. Anyhow, I made a simple comment, "I need to pick up a McCutchen Yankees autograph sometime."

That was it. Innocent, right?

And a few days later, a bubble mailer showed up in my mailbox. And this was in it:
Are you kidding me?! It's not like these are a dime a dozen. This was waaaay too generous. To boot, this is the EXACT autograph of McCutchen I would have targeted. Brian assured me this was a dupe for him. But still!

I was ecstatic. 

Of course, with Collecting Cutch, it never just ends there. Look at this! A giclee print of an art card by Edward Vela, signed on the back by the artist! Gorgeous.
I had seen the word "giclee" a few times, but wasn't sure what it meant. 
Hmph, well that makes sense. That is indeed what it is. Also I was pronouncing it "Gick-lee" which is very wrong.

And more and more Cutch cards. I feel like I have a nice mini-collection of him simply from the extras Brian throws into packages.
And look how far into this post I got without even showing a 2020 Topps DJ LeMahieu autograph. Nearly a perfect card. And look, he wore #26 right after Cutch did! I never thought about that.
And this absolutely beauty of a Jesus Montero card. If this were 2012, it would go for a pretty penny. Remember to sell your prospect cards, kids.
This Austin Jackson/Joey Devine card is awesome! Itr's numbered 2/2 (weird!). Austin Jackson has had a really good career. Somehow he's still just 33, although he has played for 7 teams. Still, he's a .273 career hitter, with over 1100 hits. That...is a solid big leaguer. He's made over $31Million as well. Good for him.
And least but not least, a custom from Collecting Cutch himself! I have been assured this is Yoda, not Shrek.
What a very generous gift he sent me.

Now I'm going to go find someone posting about a Trout RC and casually mention it would be nice to have one...


7 comments:

  1. Lol, I need to start commenting about Cutch cards! Very generous of Brian to send you so many hits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brian might be the most generous collector in the hobby. He’s hooked me up with some unbelievable Pirates cards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some solid stuff there, fitting for a guy who once ran a Pirates Treasure Room.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's awesome...congrats on the terrific cards.

    Oh, by the way, I could use a 1955 Bowman Al Kaline.🤣

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. That's awesome. I've often noticed that off-handed remarks can sometimes yield rewards but this package of cards truly is exemplary. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL @ commenting on a Trout rookie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah the Cutch autograph is sweet. But the Yoda is 10x sweeter.

    ReplyDelete