Tuesday, May 5, 2020

NBA RCs I missed

I've made an interesting foray back into basketball cards over the last month. I still feel very uninformed. I didn't collect basketball cards from about 1998 onward. 

And I'm not going to start, really. I'm not going to buy packs or boxes. I am very uninformed on the current market. Outside of a bunch of much-appreciated Knicks from Cards on Cards, I have no idea really what is what over the last 20 years.

But I've admired many careers of basketball players that have started since I no longer collected basketball. My enjoyment of the NBA never went away. I just put my focus on baseball cards.

So while bored over the last few weeks, I've decided to pick up some basketball rookie cards, just to keep in my rookie card stash. In most cases, it's the low end brand. I'm not looking at these as an investment or anything. There is no Stadium Club Beam Team Shaq here. Just a few lower end RCs of guys I wanted to own.

In no particular order:
Donovan Mitchell is a great player. Playing in Utah doesn't really help his card appeal (uninformed opinion). But he's really good. And so are the Jazz. He was the Rookie of the Year in 2017-18 and made his first All-Star game this past year. He's averaging over 24 PPG this year. 
Kevin Durant! I'm not his biggest fan. He's so good, but so sensitive. And he seems really irritable. But he's one of the best players the league has ever seen, and it's awesome that his RCs are Sonics cards. I wanted a regular Topps, but got a better deal on whatever that card above is.
This sweet Shaq was actually acquired in a trade from Vrooomed. I sent him a newer Brendan McKay, and he shot me this Shaq. I have fond memories of this card. My friend and I used to sneak into his Dad's bedroom to oogle this card, which was kept in his desk drawer. We also found some magazines there, which were not Becketts.
Anthony Davis! ZZ's main basketball squeeze. This dude is an amazing player. Part of me hopes the Lakers make it to the Finals so the world can appreciate AD on the main stage. I wanted his regular old Hoops RC, but I found this in a lot of Davis cards that was cheaper than if I had bought this card on its own. I don't know why that is sometimes, but it's true.
A couple T-Macs! He's a Hall of Famer. Did you know that?
A couple of Jason Kidds. He's a Hall of Famer too. Blocking Muggsy Bogues is mean.
I chuckled when I bought this Duncan RC. It's one of the most affordable ones he has, and everything about the design of this card is so un-Duncan.
I do not like Paul Pierce. The whole Boston thing. And he's a giant faker, like when he got wheeled off the court in a wheelchair and then came back 5 minutes later. But he will be a HOFer. And this card cost $1. So I bought it. He and Vince Carter have some pretty cool RCs in Topps flagship.

I'm not sure who I'll pick up next. Maybe Beal and John Wall? I have a Zion, luckily. And I doubt I'll ever snag a LeBron or Curry. Those are in Trout territory. 


7 comments:

  1. Some nice RCs here, I've always liked that Shaq 'trade card' and the Durant is very cool. I stopped following the NBA and collecting basketball cards about the same time you did. Got back into it not long after I started my sports card blog.

    It would have been nice to see AD and LeBron lead the Lakers deep into the playoffs. I was hoping they'd play the Bucks in the final :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a basketball collector myself, I’m really to see more of it on the blogs. Thanks for showing these off. Send me an email if you start to build up a want list. I’ve got lots of extras I’d be happy to send your way to “jumpstart” you back into hoops.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let the "AD to Knicks" rumors and eventual heartbreak/letdown begin!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Given the fact that he's the best player to enter the league in the last 25 years or so, it's amazing how cheap some of Tim Duncan's (yep, I said it) rookie cards still are. And even with everyone's sudden interest in the 90's, guys like Kidd and McGrady aren't likely to see much of an uptick, at least not unless ESPN decides to put them in a show.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so bummed that I missed out on Lebron. Zion too. But I lucked out with Curry, KD, and those late 2000's guys. I don't really follow the sport, but I've really been fascinated with basketball cards lately. I'll even have another post dedicated to Jordan in the next few days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I joined the Jason Kidd fan club when I was a kid (no pun intended). He looks like a giant getting ready to stuff Muggsy

    ReplyDelete