Friday, May 1, 2020

Waiting on Cole

I miss a lot about the baseball season right now. I know there are bigger things at play, but it's ok to miss things we like.

I'd like to see what Gleyber Torres would have done in the first month of his age-23 season, and first as a full-time short stop. Would he have been on a tear at the plate? Struggled defensively? Would he already have 20 HRs against the Orioles?

How would DJ LeMahieu be doing? Hitting .330 again in a contract year?

Would Miguel Andujar be back to hitting bombs?

Would Giancarlo Stanton be ready to go? How would Aaron Judge's broken rib have been healing?

Would Clarke Schmidt be close to the Majors?

But I think what I feel most disappointed to be missing is Gerrit Cole's start to the season. This is his age-29 season. The Yankees are paying him $36M this year for that season. He is in his prime. While I expect him to be elite for several more years, he's still in his 20s. I want to see Cole pitch for the Yankees in his 20s.
I've gotten a few Cole cards, but recently splurged on this autograph. A fellow Twitterer was selling a few cards, and this was one. It seemed like a good time to add an autograph of his, while most weren't thinking of baseball.

I still think I'll see Gerrit Cole pitch as a 29-year-old. I just hope it's soon.

4 comments:

  1. It most certainly is ok to miss things, despite what all of the crazies on Twitter think!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss teaching in front of warm bodies. I miss card shows. I miss flea markets. I miss hanging out with friends. I miss traveling to see my dad. And I miss baseball. I sure hope it's okay to miss things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss baseball a lot too. And as a Yankee fan, I can second all of what you miss.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I miss baseball so much!!!
    Cole is a special arm and an absolute bulldog on the mound.

    ReplyDelete