Saturday, November 21, 2020

No Wonder he reached out

A while back, I got an email from friend of the blog Dan. He did a cool Ty Hensley interview he showed me over at Bronx Pinstripe blog, and also mentioned Tino was his favorite '90s Yankee.

We decided to do a quick cardboard swap, and I was most excited when I saw this card.
What a cool card! It's from the 1990 Wonder Bread Superstars series. I haven't seen this card. Most of my oddball Mattingly cards are from Post, so this was a nice surprise. It's a simple, elegant design that reeks of a bread-issue! I would have pegged this around 1988 or so. What a great addition to the collection!
I've decided one of my next collecting quests will be to collect 1,000 unique Jeters. I need to take inventory. I believe I'll be in the 600 range once I officially count. I can say that I definitely didn't have this 1996 Stadium Club.

Here's a sampling of the rest of what Dan sent me.
Dan, I'm glad we connected. Thanks for the cards!


5 comments:

  1. WONDER BREAD! I grew up on it! I've never seen these either but will look up the checklist. I may have to find a set. Sweetest card here but the Club Jeter is pretty nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Certain cards are how I remember certain players and the way they played. That 1982 Topps In Action Gossage is exactly how I picture him.

    By the way... there used to be a little Wonder Bread/Hostess outlet store a few miles from my house and I'd always beg my mom to stop there. They had just about every Hostess treat you could think of.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love the one of Tino explaining baseball to the ump. His indignation seethes through the cardboard. Or paper stock or what ever the image is printed on. The Strawberry card in the Wonder Bread set is super awesome. Totally "of the time".

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got some of the Wonder cards out of the bread when i was a kid. Never got the Mattingly though, too bad. It's a great card. I think they usually ended up pretty creased as a soft loaf of bread is not the best place to package a card.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I vaguely remember owning a Wonder Bread card or two, but I don't think it was that year/set, and definitely not Donnie Baseball.

    Rounding up 1,000 Jeter cards should be easier than 1K Tino Martinez cards - but also more expensive. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete