Thursday, August 1, 2013

My 1-year-old has better cards than me


Over the past few months, I’ve enjoyed trading cards and talking baseball with Kenny aka Zippy Zappy. For a long time, Kenny was a frequent commenter, but then we finally struck up a trade. Since then, Kenny has sent me a few generous packages without us having a trade in the works. Each one has been fantastic, but the last one was something really special.

I’ll highlight the package in two posts, because the first card I’m going to show is a card I never thought I’d own. Actually, check that, I still don’t own it. Zippy wrapped this card in paper and wrote “This is for Joey.” (Joey is my 19-month-old son who I’ve started a collection for). He also inscribed some sweet-looking Japanese inscription, which he later told me said “Joey-san”…you know, like Daniel-san.
 Out fell this card:
 In case you didn’t see it, here it is again: 
Yes, that’s the famous 1993 Upper Deck SP Derek Jeter RC. The most famous of all his RCs.

Once I picked up my jaw, I have to admit, I had doubts as to what it really was. I turned it over and squinted at the bottom, expecting it to be a reprint or something…like a 2008 Upper Deck Version of Cards Your Mom Threw Out. No, son, this is the real deal.

When I told Kenny he was crazy, he was nice enough to tell me that he had trouble moving it because of a dinged corner, and wanted it to go someplace where it was appreciated. I can’t tell you how appreciated it is, and how jealous I am of my 1-year-old for now owning this card. The dinged corner means nothing. The card is perfect. I may use it as a bargaining chip for the next 18 years. “If you don’t clean up your room, I’m taking your Jeter SP Rookie Card back, mister!”

I read a little more about it, as I wasn't sure if there was a difference between the regular version and the Foil version. I think the Foil is the only one that exists. Some eBay listings say Foil and some don't, but I think it's all the same. Can anyone confirm? I believe that's why the demand for this card in perfect condition is so great. The foil is very prone to chipping, scratching, and getting dinged along the edges/corners.

Kenny, I owe you, and will probably spend the next few years trying to make it up to you. Be warned.

2 comments: