Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Eleven HOFers from a reader. Just unreal.



I’m already a little backed up on posts in 2014. Nothing substantial, mostly show and tell stuff, including a long overdue sharing of some great cards that Zippy Zappy of the new blog ‘Cervin Up Cards sent me. Rarely do I get cards and feel the need to post right away. They just go to the back of the post line. It's like milk at a grocery store.

However, the generosity toward my son’s of HOF collection has warranted me to post as soon as new cards roll in. Last week, out of the blue, Ryan from Ryan’s Pitch sent a 1952 Topps Red Schoendienst for Joey’s binder. After posting about that, I got an unsolicited email from blog reader Mark. He asked for my address saying that he’d like to contribute to the collection I’m amassing for my son. 

First off, it’s always a surprise to me when a new reader and collector reaches out. I often make the mistake of assuming that the only people who read my posts are other bloggers, and they read my stuff as a courtesy more than anything else. Yet when a reader reaches out and has a question about a card, comments on a post, or offers to make a trade (or in this instance, send cards), it’s always really gratifying. It just goes to show you never know who is out there reading.

Anyhow, Mark and I emailed back and forth a bit, and he shared his story about collecting in the ‘70s and ‘80s, and recently coming back to finish off some of his older Topps full and team sets. I’m impressed that after 20+ years of being out of the collecting game, Mark actually held on to his old cards. And naturally, Mark is a Red Sox fan. I’ve got to say, for as much dislike as I have for the Red Sox, the Sox bloggers and traders I’ve interacted with have been fantastic (I’m looking at you, Doc Holoday, Shane, and Adam E.).

This email exchange with Mark took place on Saturday, he plopped an envelope in the mail the same day, and it arrived yesterday. You go, USPS!

The cards! Enough blabbing, onto the cards! In all, Mark sent ELEVEN HOFers for Joey’s binder! Eleven. 1-1. All of the cards were from the ‘60s and ‘70s. Just unreal! I figured he might send two or three cards, but ELEVEN? Duuuude.

Here is each card in its glory. I told Mark that I didn’t even own a Killebrew for myself. And I still don't. Rest assured every card sent for Joey goes in his binder. Mark, I can’t thank you enough. Keep an eye out in the mail for some Sox cards as a token of thanks.
 



6 comments:

  1. Wow that's awesome.
    At this rate your son's going to need another binder ;).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed the cards. The next batch will be 70's and 80's

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always assume the same thing when it comes to who I think reads my blogs. You're right, stuff from readers is totally awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that's what I call a "Hall of Fame" shipment. Get it?

    ReplyDelete