Monday, April 9, 2018

Taking a closer look

I feel like I've gotten a little jaded with my card collecting, especially when I get a new card in the mail. Notably, this is the case when I purchase a card on eBay. It doesn't apply as heavily with trade packages.

Often times, I open the envelope, make sure the card is in there, then stick the card away for filing. It takes about 5 seconds. That's not cool. Cards come in so frequently that I haven't been properly taking the time to enjoy them, from observing the photo, card design, and even pouring over the back.

I'm not sure when it got to the this point of being so lackadaisical with new cards, but I want to press the reset button and work harder to enjoy each new card that comes in.

I'll start with this one, a card I paid over a buck for on eBay because it's one I just hadn't seen before. From that, I can tell it doesn't pop up very frequently.  One is listed on COMC for $5.25 right now, so I gladly paid $.80 + $1.39 shipping to add a new Tino for just over $2.
This card is from 2001 Upper Deck Ultimate Collection, which was a small set with one autograph per year. Nowadays, base cards in those types of packs are thrown out, although I guess that could have been the case back then too seeing how rarely this card pops up.

On the whole, the card is nice, but not spectacular by any means. Decent, but not overly memorable design.
At first I liked the image. Good shot of Tino laughing. But then I noticed his blurry left hand, as he was obviously in movement. Historically, I don't think Upper Deck photography would usually allow for the blurry motion, even though it's not very apparent.
The back of the card is fine. Only three years worth of stats, but a nice write-up, including mentioning his World Series homer versus the D-Backs.

There you have it. No Earth-shattering analysis here, but still, I need to do a better job of looking at cards versus dismissing them so quickly.

3 comments:

  1. I try to take the time and give all my incoming cards a good once-over before I file them away. I've missed a lot of cool little things in the past by not doing that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I face a similar problem. I'll often let packages stack up. With only so much time during the work week... I'll normally add any packages I receive during the week to my office stack and either Friday night or Saturday afternoon, I have myself a little package party.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely feel your observation (or lack there of) with new cards. I like Fujis idea for a package party for myself on the weekend. Maybe I will give that a try.

    ReplyDelete