Tuesday, June 26, 2018

This set is aliiiiive

When it first came out, the Topps Living Set really took the hobby by storm. The first few cards were fetching hundreds of dollars, and then folks started to catch on and drive up print numbers.

I was one of those people.
I haven't purchased a whole weekly issue lot, but I did pick up two cards on eBay while they were out. The first is the card that currently holds the highest print run (46,809), Ronald Acuna. Say what you want about Topps, but they took advantage of Acunamania when he first got called up. They must've made a killing.

Since I can't find any baseball cards near where I live, I figured it was worth the $4 to own a RC of one of the game's brightest young stars.
Speaking of bright young stars, I also purchased the second highest print run card (28,550), Yankees phenom Gleyber Torres. This was a no-brainer for me. Although I have to say, I didn't love the artistic photo choice. Gleyber looks like he's saying, "pffffft, I'm too cool for this."

Still, I can't pass up ANY rookie card of him these days.

I'm sure I'll pick up a few others here and there. I'd do anything for Tino to be included in this set, but I have a feeling that's not happening any time soon.

5 comments:

  1. The Pirates finally got a card two weeks back.....of all people it was Jordy Mercer. Since I'm in deep with Topps NOW I told myself I wasn't going to bother /I got the card.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a great looking set... but I'm glad I didn't jump into this mix. I'm one of those guys who wants one of everything... and I'd have to change the focus of my collection to keep up with these cards. However... huge props to those who have collected the entire set so far. The idea of a living set is something I wanted for years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Living Set is a great concept, but the price is prohibitive for a collector on a budget (like myself). That being said, I'm jumping all over this product when Vogelbach gets his card. It. Will. Happen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the look of this set and the concept is brillaint. I just wish I would have jumped in earlier to start collecting it. I am waiting for Topps to produce gold or foil versions of the first 100 cards as "reprints" so that others can jump in to start collecting the set as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are some cool cards. I started to get both of those as well and didn't. I regret it now.

    ReplyDelete