Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Sluggers

I just came across these two cards as I was sorting through some large stacks of Yankees Back in the early 2000s, these could commonly be pulled from packs at Target.
Does anyone remember these? I know they were around for several seasons.

The game was quite simple, from what I recall.. One enters their unique code on the website, then received three drop down menus. The user then had to choose one of three players listed in the drop down menus. That was your Sluggers team for the season, and you accumulated points based on their stats. You could enter multiple teams based on the number of codes you had.

Although I never won anything, I believe you could win baseball and card-related prizes by playing.

I feel like Sluggers was a little before it's time, and would be a fun concept today now that fans are quite a bit more used to fantasy baseball, including both season-long and daily fantasy. I guess the closest thing we have is the Home Run Challenge, which I think is a great concept.

By the way, the domain name "Sluggers.com" is for sale for $35,000.

Does anyone remember playing this game?

3 comments:

  1. I wasn't in the hobby at the time, but somehow I have my fair share of those advertisement/code thingies.
    This is something I could totally see myself getting hooked on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember these cards, but I never logged in to try to play the game.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was on my card collecting break from 2001 to 2008, so never played or seen these cards. Interesting concept though. I feel like Topps has played around with "fantasy team" promotions since I returned to the hobby. But I personally haven't participated if they have.

    ReplyDelete