Monday, January 21, 2019

The rest of the PWEs from Japan

Yesterday, I showed the Tino Martinez 2003 Kanebo card(s) that Zippy Zappy zapped me from Japan. There were six other cards throughout the three envelopes as well.

These three are from from 2003 Topps Kanebo Japan Series 2, best I can tell. Interestingly, I don't see the Kanebo OR Topps logos on any of them, unless in Japanese, which is entirely possible. Topps is included in English in the legal language on the backs of the cards.
I like the looks of these cards in teal versus the blue in standard 2003 Topps. Actually, I'm not sure if I like the teal more, or if it's just because it's different than what I'm used to seeing. Probably the latter.
This 2009 O-Pee-Chee Derek Jeter has dotted lines along the edges and a blank white back, so I'm thinking it came on a box of cards of some sort, similar to the Topps Big League from this past year.
Now we've got two unique Japanes cards from 2016 BBM. This first of of Japanese lefty Hitoki Iwase. I have to be honest, I haven't heard of him, but I did notice he was born in 1974, which means he would have been 42 at the time of this card. He also had 402 career saves as of the time of this card. A little bit of googling shows he's the Japense Marino Rivera, as he's the NPB record holder in saves and appearances! Very cool!

Also, the Dragons logo makes me laugh every time I see it! That must be the least intimidating dragon ever. He should be friends with the mascot from my alma mater, Otto the Orange.
And finally, a Ceremonial First Pitch card Hinako Sano. Sano, no relation to Miguel, is an actress and model.

Pretty awesome couple of PWEs, ZZ. Thank you!

4 comments:

  1. How long has Kanebo/Topps produced a Japanese parallel?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kanebo did sets in 2002 and 2003, they are listed in Beckett. They don't list for a lot but are super hard to find. Kanebo is kind of the Avon Cosmetics of Japan. I was fortunate to find sets years ago for $15-20 each. There are also 2 parallel sets of the 2003's, I have a few Yankees for the silver set and I'm looking for the black parallels. Super tough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both of those Jeters are awesome! Great action shots.

    ReplyDelete