Saturday, March 7, 2020

A little ink and a little vintage

Just a quick Saturday morning post to clean out a couple scanned cards, as a few cards have trickled in here and there.

As you know if you read Zippy Zappy, Bowman Chrome is king. I've been a little better about buying BoChro autographs of guys I like. One of these guys is Garrett Whitlock, a solid pitching prospect who unfortunately had TJ Surgery last year. Therefore, it was a very minimal purchase.
One that cost me a little more, but still under $10 shipped, was a refractor autograph of Michael King. I recently purchased his base chrome auto, but with all of the Yankees pitching injuries, he's knocking on the door for a rotation spot to start the season, or at some point once a 6th or 7th starter is needed. It felt like a good time to buy him in case he gets hot.
The last card is one I'm a little torn on, as I'm not confident is is authentic. Behold, a 1957 Topps Whitey Ford.
The reason I'm skeptical is because of the price, as I only paid a few bucks for it. The condition scans better than it is, as it's got some surface wear and soft corners. I'd like to think it's real, but I just don't trust people in the 2020 hobby. If it's real, even as a set filler, it should have gone for more.

I hadn't bought a vintage card in a while, so hopefully it is real.


7 comments:

  1. I don't know AJ, I see cheap "less than perfect" vintage all of the time. Sometimes in quarter boxes too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah from what I've seen Whitey is undervalued outside of the NY area.

      Delete
  2. Nice autos. I hope that the Ford is authentic as it looks wonderful. I really want a 1983 Darryl Strawberry card but I'll be damned if I pay for one that is graded and just do not fully trust those that aren't. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Whitey Ford! I love the vintage card pose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Put the Ford in a stack with your signed '57 Jerry Coleman and any other '57s you may have and check from the side if the card stock seems to be the same.. that's a good way to check for counterfeits since vintage paper is hard to fake, especially from the side in a stack of real cards from the same set.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sad that we have to deal with scumbags who alter cards. I'm not an expert on vintage, but I can tell you that I've been eyeballing a copy of that Whitey for quite sometime myself. Congratulations on adding it to your collection.

    ReplyDelete