Monday, March 30, 2020

Quarantined Donruss?!

I've been on work from home orders since Monday, March 9. In that time, I've been to the doctor once on March 16 (not sickness related), went for a hike with my family on March 21, and to pickup some curbside food that same day from a local restaurant.

That's it! I've gone for plenty of walks and runs outside, but in terms of actual trips out into the public on a mission, that was it. Until Saturday. With my family's milk supply getting very low, and feeling a bit stir crazy during a rainy day, I decided to take a chance and venture to Walgreen's.

I was lucky to find the milk freshly restocked, so I grabbed a couple gallons for the family. The kids have also been really good throughout all of this, so I ventured to the toy aisle to get them a little something. I bought my son a pack of Pokemon cards, and my daughter some sand slime.

I also grabbed one of the 100-card repacks for myself for a few quick minutes of entertainment. I then wandered to the next aisle, which was labeled seasonal, and I was surprised by what I saw. Two lonely 50-card hangers of 2020 Donruss, just sitting on a shelf not near anything else! Literally.
I looked around for more, but that was all I found. So I grabbed them and put the re-pack back.

Now, I know Donruss isn't the preferred product of 99.9% of you, but I thought it'd be a bit more fun to crack open some 2020s versus the repack. The problem with Donruss is that when you open it, there are a bunch of different designs and variations and gimmicks and such, so it's hard to tell what is what. Plus these boxes had exclusive orange and diamond holos, adding to the variety.

Still, it was a fun a break!

My favorite card is easily this Aaron Judge stat line, numbered to 400. The card was facing backwards in the pack, and I honestly thought gasped because I thought it might be an autograph. Alas, it wasn't, but still a fun card to get.
I am a little confused on the numbering to 400. Usually stat lines are numbered to, you know, the stat. But right above his name it mentions he had a .921 OPS in 2019. His OBP was .381 and his Slugging Percentage was .540. So I dunno?

In this very Yankee-centric first pack, I also snagged a Gleyber Torres variation. It was in the middle of the pack with the inserts, so easy to tell.
Overall, lots of variety! As mentioned, it's really hard to tell what is what, but a few keepers as well as plenty of cards that have already been uploaded to TCDB. And there was no shortage of shine. I find Panini's shine patterns to be a bit nicer than Topps' shine patterns right now.
F that guy.

It was a welcome distraction from the craziness. It also forced me to take a shower.

7 comments:

  1. Fun cards! You’re a good dad too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dang it. I bought the base set. Now I'm thinking I want to go OUT, to Walgreens. Those inserts are great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that American Pride insert is a beaut! Scanned super well, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gonna be interesting to see if Jeff Criswell gets drafted this summer. If he does I'd give that a TTM shot if I were you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool cards, and you sure won't find that kind of shiny in a repack!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you were able to find some milk and a nice cardboard distraction during these strange times. Last week was rough for me (totally going stir crazy)... but I think my mind is starting to settle into this shelter in place thing.

    ReplyDelete