Sunday, March 22, 2020

New SI for Kids card design

I never know when the next SI for Kids is going to show up. You see, I use leftover airline miles from an airline I don't fly anymore (if I can help it), and I get SI for Kids using the Mags for Miles service. I used to get SI as well, but they just ended up sitting in an unread pile. So I stopped doing that. If there's an article I want to read, usually it can be found online.

Like many print publications, SI for Kids as gone to an every other month cadence versus every month. I always think my subscription has ended, and then out of nowhere any issue arrives. Keeping track of every other month is too hard for my small brain.

This month, Shohei Ohtani was on the cover, which is cool. Unfortunately, he wasn't a featured card. Here's who was included for this month:
I'm probably happiest to have Anthony Edwards and Mikaela Shiffrin. Edwards could be the top pick whenever the NBA Draft is held.
Cool for Semien to get a card, although I can't imagine there's much of a market for him (sorry Fuji). He's a good player though. Shai Gilgeous-Alexander has had a good year for OKC so far, averaging19.3 points. He was a daily fantasy basketball favorite of mine. Jordan Binnington is cool too, as he was the goalie on the Stanley Cup champ Blues.
One interesting twist this month was that the cards got a new design. Usually a design lasts a few years, so this should be here for a bit. It's ok. I don't love it, mostly because of the colors, although the font is kind of weird too. The colors alternate between black and gold, and not necessarily to do with a team color.
Shiffrin's card has a star in the middle above her name, which I'm not sure what that means. It's on the back too, without explanation. Maybe it signifies "middle card"?
The card backs are about in line with past designs as well.

Looking forward to my next issue, whenever that is! Can I get a Gleyber Torres in there, please?

8 comments:

  1. How sad is it that I have no idea who any of these people are?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't love the new design, but I do love Mikaela. No idea what the star is for, I'd probably have to see the previous months sheets to figure out if it's some sort of subset or world record holder designation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the heads up. Mine has not shown up yet. I was expecting a new design fairly soon...glad to see the numbering continue. The fifth service has been going since 2011 now.
    I'm curious about the star too, might relate to the articles?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The every other month issue explains why I haven't seen an issue in my mailbox for quite some time. I had two more years left on my subscription. I hope they push it back to four years... if they're only going to send me six issues a year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. SI for kids has had a few Bubble blowing cards over the years. If you see any new bubble cards please let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thats how I get my subscription as well, unused air miles. I posted about my issue too, but didn't realize it's every other month now. That stinks.

    ReplyDelete