Monday, March 23, 2020

Players returning mail while stuck inside

Twice last week, I received two TTM returns on very old requests. I'm guessing that with people spending more time home and being a bit bored during this time, so retired players are using the time to catch up on some old mail.

I will say, before I start, is that I'm not using this time to send any NEW requests. While I haven't sent any new TTM requests in months outside of four to spring training, my personal preference is to respect privacy at this time and not send mail from a stranger to someone's house.

That's actually something I've been sticking too regardless. Once I saw how Max Muncy felt about this being an invasion of privacy by sending to his home address, I've really been reluctant to send any more. Plus, my time feels more limited than ever these days (social distancing not withstanding), and writing letters to baseball players is no longer an appealing way for me to spend it.

Regardless, on Friday and Saturday I did receive some very old requests back both more than 2 years outstanding!

The first was from George Frazier who signed my two cards that I sent in November, 2017!
The second was from Adam Lind, who I sent to in spring training of 2018 while with the Yankees. He didn't make the team, unfortunately, and hasn't been in the Majors since 2017. Still, very cool of him to answer my request after all this time. Not sure why I sent the card I did, but I guess it was what I had at the time. It's a cool photo though!
It'll be interesting to see if a few more from well in the past trickle in.

4 comments:

  1. This time has been good for crossing off items on the "To Do" list. I guess if I had a box of TTM requests to go through now would be a perfect opportunity. The Adam Lind card is a unique action shot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gotta wonder how big the stack of mail Frazier has collected over the last two years is. Crazy that he still had the intention of answering it after all that time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool to see you're receiving a few of the older ttm returns. It's also cool that you're respecting these guys' privacy during this unique period of history we're going through.

    I hadn't heard or read about the Muncy thing... until I looked it up today (after reading your post). I totally understand where he was coming from... and thought his response was handled perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's great. I hope you get a few more back!

    ReplyDelete