Monday, August 7, 2017

Hangin' with Mr. Cooper

It's not frequent that I get TTM successes anymore that are sent directly to Yankee Stadium, so it's always a special surprise when it happens.

In the never-ending quest to find a 1B, the Yankees made a small deal with the Brewers, sending LHP Tyler Webb to Milwaukee for 1B Garrett Cooper. Cooper was demolishing the PCL, although from what I gather it's a very hitter-friendly league. Still, he was hitting .366 with 17 homers and 82 RBIs at the time of the MLB All-Star Break. Pretty good!

Cooper was immediately called up and thrown into the fire, making his ML debut in Fenway. In 26 ABs with the Yankees, he's hitting .240, although four of his six hits have gone for extra bases (3 doubles and triple). He was sent back to AAA once he got squeezed for playing time when Chase Headley shifted to 1B, although just got called back up again with Matt Holliday going to the DL.

I'd love to see him get a Topps Update card, but with so many new Yankees and guys who made their MLB debuts this season, it might be tough.

It would surprise me if Cooper ever became a long-term solution, but he's a valuable guy to have under team control who can come up and provide adequate innings at 1B. I envision him being an Andy Phillips-type over the next few seasons.

Cooper signed this generic Yankee Stadium card for me in just 2 weeks time. I prefer having these signed versus the generic "Signature" cards. Nothing against those, just my personal preference. Thanks, Mr. Cooper

No comments:

Post a Comment