Thursday, December 29, 2016

My favorite card of 2016

This was a tough one. In 2014, I had this.
In 2015, there was this.
But there was no iconic card for me in 2016. I'm not man enough to pick a card featuring a player from another team, so I set my sight on only Yankee cards, yet no card jumped out.

However, a moment jumped out. August 13, 2016.

The Yankees had waved the white flag and traded away Andrew Miller, Aroldis Chapman, and Carlos Beltran. They called up Gary Sanchez, followed by Tyler Austin and Aaron Judge.

Austin and Judge found themselves hitting 7th and 8th, respectively, in their Major League debuts. In the bottom of the second, Austin lined a 2-2 pitch from Matt Andriese just inside the right field pole for a homer in his first Big League at bat.

While Austin was still hugging teammates, Aaron Judge blasted a homer off of the restaurant windows in dead center. Back-to-back HRs, first MLB hits, in their MLB debuts. It gets no cooler than that.
So while this may not be these greatest looking card, it's my favorite memory from the 2016 Yankees, and it's cool to have a piece of cardboard that celebrates the feat.

3 comments:

  1. That was a pretty cool moment during the season. Nice choice.
    Remember to post a link in the comments of my Contest Post so I don't forget to include you in the randomization. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a good choice. A Topps Now card is on the shortlist for me as well. I thought for sure your choice would have been a Gary Sanchez.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great moment in Yankees history = Great choice of favorite card

    ReplyDelete