Saturday, December 10, 2016

Purposely buying a dupe

Do you ever buy a card you already have, on purpose?

I do it from time-to-time. There are a lot of instancess when I blatantly screw up, thinking I don't have a card and buy it, only to discover it's a dupe. However, there are other times when I buy a card, already knowing that I have it.

It many cases, it might be because you upgrade a card for a vintage set. In most cases for me, it's actually because I know how hard certain Tino Martinez cards from the late 90s are to find. When one pops up for a great price, even if it is a dupe, sometimes I can't help myself from pouncing.
I just did it on this 1997 Circa Rave. These cards aren't easy to find, and one came up in my saved eBay search and it was essentially a steal. I had to get it, even though I already have one. It's not the worst thing to own a scarce card like this, and I did second-guess myself a bit, but ultimately, I felt like I couldn't let it pass me by.

I've recently done this with a Donruss Crusade Tino as well. I guess that's the life of a player collector. If new stuff doesn't pop up, but what you already have.

3 comments:

  1. Man, I forgot about those Circa cards... so crazy looking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i do the same thing every now and then. I think I own three Tom Curren Goodwin Champions autographs. It took me a few years to find my first copy... and it wasn't cheap. These days I have a saved search and if I ever see one about to sell for under $10, I bid on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I already had a complete base set of 2003 Topps Retired. Recently saw another set for a great price and snagged it. I collect probably half the guys in the set, so I'll break it up for my PCs.

    ReplyDelete