Friday, March 21, 2014

My mother-in-law has a LCS, and I don't.


A few weeks ago, some of you might remember that I tweeted about visiting a LCS near my mother-in-law’s house. My wife and her mother and aunts were going out to lunch, and I said I’d go out on my own. Spend some quality “me” time. I figured I’d go get a nice sandwich and take my time moseying around.

Curiosity got the better of me, and I googled “baseball cards” just to see if any nearby hits came up. Lo and behold, a store popped up just 4 miles away!

So I hopped in the card and drove to a small mall. I grabbed a sandwich at a nearby deli, then headed over the shop, Hall of Fame Card in Potomac, MD. I think there is a rule that every other shop has to be named “Hall of Fame Cards.”

Inside, there were cards, and a lot of other items for sale…jerseys, shirts, etc. I mulled around for a bit. Fairly typical pricing…packs and singles were a bit expensive. There definitely was a nice selection of vintage in the display cases. I really wish there were dime or quarter boxes, but I didn’t discover anything. There were grab bags, but they didn't look too promising. Singles were sorted into boxes by teams, and all Yankees were at least $.50, and that was just for a common. If it was a bigger name, it was a least a buck or two. I was a little bummed about that.

I did venture over to the Yankees vintage box and picked up the two cards below. I’m sure I could have found them cheaper online, but I wanted to give the guy some business and not walk away empty handed. The owner was nice and engaging with everyone who came in, and I was happy to see such a steady flow of customers. He has a great location right near McDonalds and a karate studio, so kids were around.
That is my first Post card. I was having trouble deciding between Maris and Yogi, and both were same price and condition. Ultimately, I chose Rog. The Stengel is a card I've wanted for a long time, so I was happy to snag that.

I’ll definitely going back since it’s better than just sitting around when I visit the in-laws.

10 comments:

  1. Those are a couple of sweet cards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Probably better off that place didn't have awesome prices. Your wife may begin to wonder why you are wanting to visit your mother in law 4 times a week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What kind of sandwich did you get?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was curious about this too. I'm sort of craving a nice hot pastrami right this second. Oh... sweet Maris and Stengel pickups.

      Delete