Monday, March 24, 2014

Pineda collection firing on all cylinders

In a little over a week, I should finally see Michael Pineda throw his first official pitch as a Yankee, about two and half years after acquiring him. He's looked good this spring. His fastball isn't the high 90s heater it was in Seattle, but after serious shoulder surgery, that's understandable.

However, he is sitting in the low 90s with great breaking pitches. His control is as advertised. Being as big as he is, living at 92 can be very effective since the ball gets on hitters quickly. I just want him to stay healthy, and if he does, he'll contribute.

If he gets off to a quick start, I anticipate his cards shooting up in value a bit, which will be annoying for me. I think I've done a good job of acquiring Pinedas while he was acting more like Pavano. If he has a good April, I'm going to have a lot more competition, which is ok. I have over 50 unique Pinedas now, and am always looking for ones I need.

This gem here is from our buddy Ryan LaMonica over at Ryan's Pitch. It's a sweet Topps Finest insert called "Finest Freshmen". Big Mike is taking the unconventional route by taking two years off before his sophomore season. That just means he's well-rested, right?
Ryan also sent a great hand-written note. The guy is definitely one of the most thoughtful bloggers out there. Ryan, thanks for the addition!


No comments:

Post a Comment