Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Michael Phelps Autograph - Part 2

While Part 2 of this post won't feature any cards better than the Micael Phelps autograph, it's really all gravy from here on out. I mean, for $25 I got this:
And this:
Even if the remaining 1,000 or so cards were utter junk wax, I was still coming out well ahead.

Well, one of the first cards I came across was this:

Another Bryant RC. That makes two!

From there, there was a row of probably about 100 straight RCs. That makes me feel like this person knew even more what they were doing. They ranged from big stars to guys who you thought would be big stars, to some junk wax era RCs that are still great to have. Here's a sampling.
The Freeman and Baez are pretty good pulls alone, then you've got busy like Boegarts, Yelich, Didi, Votto, etc.
And while its not a RC, this card was a surprise.

There was actually a decent stack of Bowman Platinum, which shows this person was a fairly recent collector.

From there, I found a few more autographs that weren't pictured, as well as a couple of numbered cards. Still gravy.
I was surprised to find an old Pinnacle Epix! These were tough pulls, and I'm sure that the Belle would have fetched a few bucks back in the day. The condition of it was a bit rough, but cool to have!
Many cards were grouped by star player, as there were plenty of Bryants, Altuves, and around 30 Ichiros!
Yanks weren't overly plentiful, but still some decent ones, including some from 2018. Again, a recent collector!
And it was right after the James Paxton trade, so it was fun to find these included.
There were a few vintage cards, and nothing great, but again, any stack of vintage is gravy at this point.
Oh, and the shiny I mentioned from yesterday? These were in the form of a bunch of colorful 2014 Topps parallels. I was actually just a tad let down from these because when I peeked at them while still in NYC, they caught a weird light and looked orange. I thought I stumbled upon a rare Orange version!
I finished up the first box, which was the largest of the two, and then I started on the smaller box. The first 20 cards or so were junk wax, so I figured that's what I was in for from here on out. Then this card showed up:
Whoa! Followed by a massive run of Seaver cards, maybe 25-30 total, both vintage and modern.
Following the run of Seavers, was the run of game-used cards. THESE WERE NOT ADVERTISED. There were literally 30 right in a row, with guys like Ortiz, Teixeira, Sheffield, and Helton featured. Pretty cool!

Honestly, there were a lot more treasures not even pictured, but this is the best recap I can muster up.

Probably the best $25 I've spent on this hobby. And a feat I don't ever expect to replicate again.

11 comments:

  1. Is that a Latos relic? Because if it is I could give it a good home (in Japan).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't recall, but I think so. If it is, I'll set it aside in your next stack.

      Delete
  2. Jackpot. Ding. Ding. Ding. Amazing purchase! Love the Votto and Freeman Topps rookie cards and all of those memorabilia cards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wowsers. That was some special find. If you ever need a home for the Freeman rookie, that's one card I still haven't gotten my hands on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd say that was a good buy. Is the 2nd KB rookie available? I'm sure I have some decent Yankee cards for a return if you are willing to work out a trade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I guess you might want some contact info. Email is tntcardsstg at gmail.

      Delete
  5. That would be an incredible haul for $25 without the Phelps auto. All things included, you got the steal of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seems like guy was just off-loading a collection, either from someone else or his own and just wanted to be done with it? Cards show too much knowledge for just $25.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love reading these types of stories. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete