Tuesday, November 3, 2020

I miss the Election Day bake sale the most

I don't have much to say about today's election. I stay out of politics, in general. They don't interest me. I did vote though. Our tiny town in the NYC suburbs had a ballot drop box at the police station, which is also next to town hall.

I did my duty. Although when you put a ballot in the drop box, you don't get a sticker. How am I supposed to tell people on Instagram that I voted?

My state is a pretty unwavering blue state, so it's hard to vote and think it actually matters. I know it's the wrong attitude, but I didn't feel like I was making a vote that would actually mean anything. I do realize that's the wrong line of thinking, and if everyone thought like that, then that'd be a real problem.

What I miss most about in-person voting at the old people polls and confusing voting machines is the bake sale. I usually vote at the buttcrack of dawn before work, and was always rewarded with a nice piece of coffee cake for $.50 to benefit the elementary school.

I definitely missed the bake sale this year.

As it relates to cards, I don't have any political cards outside of GWB throwing out the first pitch in the 2001 World Series. Non-sports cards don't appeal to me, but I did decide to pick up this piece of history honoring a truly awful occasion: the first 2020 Presidential Debate.
Man, was that a mess that was. But this whole year has been. So I decided to buy a piece of cardboard to remember it. Not that I'll need a card to remember 2020. Nooope. The visions of my kids learning from Chromebooks or me working at my dining room table since March will never be forgotten. Or taking my car 20 minutes away to be serviced, only to get there and realize I didn't bring a mask and had to beg the woman at Dunkin Donuts to give me one. Tiny problems in the grand scheme of things, sure. 

It's been a weird year. But my family is healthy and we're making this all work, just like everyone else. So I bought a card. 

If you head to the polls today, stay safe. And if your's has a bake sale, know that I'm jealous.




2 comments:

  1. I was worried about not getting my sticker this year... but in California I discovered that they included on with the ballot. Dropped it off yesterday... and now the waiting game begins.

    P.S. No bake sale set up next to my ballot drop box.

    ReplyDelete