Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Dipping back into buying some 2018 cards

It was a very slow summer for me for buying 2018 cards for a few reasons. First and foremost, my Target just never restocked 2018 cards. After flagship, I found a blaster of GQ and then never found anything new after that.

But that wasn't the only reason. I just wasn't inspired by very many 2018 releases. I'm not sure why. Maybe I got Aaron Judge'd last year and was tired of trying to keep up with all of the releases. Also I just feel like each set is the same year after year, and that gets a little tiring. I end up just accumulating without being overly excited about the cards.

Anyhow, two weeks ago I went to a different Target with my son. We were out running errands so tried a different location. They did have a much better selection of cards, and I found one lonely Chrome Update Mega Box, as well as a hanger of 2018 Update.

Side note, the term Mega Box does not make sense to me. 28 cards (7 packs of 4 cards) do not need to be in such a giant box. I'm not a conscious save-the-environment type of person, but the size of this box, and all blasters really, are so over the top for the contents inside.

Despite the usual buyer's remorse after buying retail, I still managed to pull some great cards. 28 cards of Chrome for $20 is pretty dumb, but at least there's a strong rookie class this year. Here are some of the highlights:
I was very happy to get the Gleyber RC from Chrome, as it's my first pack-pulled Torres. I didn't get Ohtani, but did well with Soto and Acuna for sure. Those guys are studs.

Also, it feels like Hoskins has been around forever, so weird to still be getting his RCs still.
This Bryce Harper card is very awesome. It must look event better as a Refractor. I really wish the Yankees would open up their large checkbook and sign Harper. I prefer him to Machado. I would also really relish all the whiny "Harper and the Yankees are made for each other" or "now I can hate the Yankees even more" freezing cold takes and tweets. It would be awesome. But it's not going to happen.
Lastly, these International Affair cards fall 1:2 and are very nice. I don't understand the premise of the set at all, but the cards look great and I was very happy to get a Judge. Probably the second nicest insert set after the 1983 Chrome Refractors.

As for the hanger box, nothing specular, but a solid break for $10. I prefer these to blasters since you get about the same amount of cards, but the 72-card brick is less fun to open. Basically you have about 35 cards on top, the inserts all stuck together in the middle, then all of the horizontal cards pack together as well. Kind of weird and unexciting.



I managed two Torres cards this time, which is great. I guess neither is his true flagship RC because of the 2018 Series 2 SP (which I don't have....GRRR). The debut card of him coming out of the dugout is great. And the AS card isn't a shot of him from the game, as he didn't play due to injury.
Stanton was the card on top of the bricks, and I love cards of trade deadline acquisitions.
I got a nice Ohtani!

And a great looking Bo Jackson.
The Bruce Harper cards come 2 per hanger at Target. The design is a little too political for me, but I get it. Washington DC.

That's it. Overall, I did ok with the break given the players I got, but I still think I should have spent the $30 on something else. But I always feel like that after buying retail.



6 comments:

  1. I can relate to your apathy towards new products. After a while it all just starts blending into the same vat of nothingness. Which of course is why I don't regret spending $40 on Stranger Things blasters over a Megabox with infinity box bloat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been cutting down each year, I think, my new cards acquisitions. Since all the players I collect are retired, it just doesn't seem worth it. Though I do enough ripping packs and then sending the cards out to to team/player collectors. Sweet cards, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Gleyber rookie debut, where he is coming out of the dugout, is beautiful. Yankee Stadium is one of the six ballparks I still to visit. That beautiful photo just makes more excited to go.
    I'm with you on the apathy of buying new product. Not suffering from chasing the Judges, but I think it's a case of 2017 Vogelmonster-itis.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If there was ever a sign that I'm addicted to baseball cards... it would be my desire to open blaster boxes. I know and fully accept that I won't pull anywhere near $20 worth of baseball cards 99% of the time... yet I still buy them. And the amount of wasted space within those boxes is ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You got some cool cards, at least.
    (I'm rooting for the Yankees to sign Harper AND Machado, mostly so neither one ends up on the Phillies or anywhere else in the NL East.)

    ReplyDelete