Monday, February 25, 2019

I should go to the LCS more

I live about 15 minutes away from a small shop called Skybox Cards. It's been there 30 years.

I should go there more, but I always make an excuse not to. That I'm too busy or have something going on. However, on Saturday I found myself with about an hour of free time, so I hopped in the car and made the drive.

The store is like many you've been in, overcrowded shelves, boxes, memorabilia everywhere. While the actual space to maneuver is narrow, the store is actually very charming.

I asked the owner if he had any new Yanks I could thumb through, and he handed me a loose stack. I I stood at the counter and eventually pulled out eight cards, including these. I didn't ask for a price - I figured he'd be fair and I decided to support the local business. I was glad to pick up a few Stantons as well, as I feel like he's going to have a huge year. It happens all the time in NY, where a player has a terrific second year after adjusting in year one.
While there, I saw a father come in with his daughter and inquire about a stack of cards he had. I definitely eavesdropped, trying to see if he pulled out some big-time cards, or what most of us expected...overproduced cards.

It was the latter. I don't think he was disappointed, as I think he came into possession of them through a family member. I believe the best card was a Bo Jackson RC. But I can't imagine how many times the shop owner has had that discussion with people who wander into the store.

I also tried my luck with a jumbo pack of 2019 Topps, as the box looked fresh and I figured I might be able to luck into one of the three hits. As expected, I did not.

All in all, I was charged $20 for the jumbo and the eight cards. Not bad at all.

4 comments:

  1. Support your local businesses for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Florial is legit. Watched him the other day single and then steal a base on the first pitch. If he gets on the Giancarlo workout regime he could be a 40/40 guy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish the Pirates had traded Cutch to the Yankees for Florial when those 2017 rumors were going around. Florial looks to be the next part of the new core of great young Yankees.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice cards; sorry you didn't get any hits in the Jumbo. I looked it up and I'm about an hour from it. I'll remember where it is just in case I end up in that area for some day.

    ReplyDelete