Thursday, February 21, 2019

My favorite relic set

I've never been a set collector. It's just not in my blood.

But I did complete my favorite relic set of all time: 2000 Upper Deck HoloGRFX A Piece of the Series. It was an 11-card set with a game-used base relic from the 1999 World Series, a year in which the Yankees swept the Braves.

I have always loved the look of these cards. They felt tastefully done, and the base relic was large, generously sized, and fairly unique.

Obviously, the memory of the Yankees winning the World Series aided my enjoyment of the set. Im not sure I would have collected it had they lost.

There are autographed versions of these cards as well, and the Tino isn't even a white or gray whale for me. It's an invisible whale. A rainbow unicorn whale. I don't think I'll ever even have a chance at owning it.

However, for now, I'll always feel great about owning and completing this set. Apologies for a bunch of bad scans:

A special thanks to My Cardboard Habit for running this contest about relic cards!

5 comments:

  1. good looking set! Jeter, Jones and Glavine are my faves here. I think it's the use of blue and red. Makes for great eye appeal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You just had to rub it in didn't ya. Nice Braves relics :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool set... especially for Yankees fans.

    ReplyDelete