Monday, November 25, 2019

A private signing for me

The other day, I came across a Tino Martinez autograph from Panini called "private signings." I had never seen this particular card, so I figured it was new.

It's actually six years old!

I don't follow Panini sets at all, so I wasn't too sure where this was from. Turns out is was from a 2013 set, and were special packs given out with the purchase of some higher-end Panini boxes.

It's funny how new-to-you cards can pop up after so many years, isn't it? It happens a lot with oddball sets, but I like to think I have a pretty good grasp on on what Tino cards are out there, so it's always a little mystifying when a brand new one (to me) comes out of no where.

While this was limited to just 8 copies, thankfully Topps has flooded the market with Tino autos, and his price has been driven way down. Throw in an unlicensed brand, and there's even less demand. I was able to win this for under $10 shipped, something that wouldn't have been done last year when Tino autographs were fairly rare.

I guess I should say #ThanksTopps? Regardless, add another notch in my Tino Martinez autograph collection.


4 comments:

  1. A Tino auto for less than $10 shipped? Woof. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you landed this new-to-you card. That is a great feeling. I still see new Darryl Strawberry cards appear on TCDB from time to time from his playing days! Thanks for showing this off!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Six years old? It's amazing what can sneak by us! Makes me wonder what Vogelmonster cards are out there that I have no idea about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tino autograph numbered to 8 for under $10? That's an awesome find. Glad it landed in your collection. As for flooding the market, I felt that way about Maddux and Henderson autographs. I never could afford to add their signatures to my collection, but now I'm able to pick them up for under $50 every now and then. I've gotta admit though... I hope they stop signing soon. They've already more than saturated the market.

    ReplyDelete