Saturday, December 5, 2020

My latest collecting motivation

I get bored with collecting a lot. I think it's because I've been collecting Tino Martinez cards since 1997, and that has been my main focus. After 23 years, while I still do it, it can become a bit repetitive. It's livened up a little with the 9 million 2020 parallels, but still. It can be very rinse and repeat. Wake up, check eBay for anything new, buy it if isn't a rip, card comes in, maybe post about it, document in my collection, move on.

I tend to go on collecting fads that help keep me somewhat inspired. It helps liven things up a little. Earlier in the spring, I chased down a bunch of NBA rookies of guys like Tim Duncan, Paul Pierce, Donovan Mitchell, Anthony Davis, and more. It was just a little something to do, as I missed out on rookie cards of some of the game's greatest during my lifetime. Some I have been priced out of forever, like LeBron and Curry.

I then went on a mini Syracuse legends tear, gobbling up a few Dave Bing and Floyd Little cards. I don't know much about basketball nor football cards from 1970s, so if anything, it was cool to see "new" old card designs.

My latest focus has been on Derek Jeter diecut cards. There are so many out there from the greatest era of cards, the late '90s, that if nothing else, makes for a very fun eBay search. I have picked up a few lower end ones. I say "lower end" because there are a TON of them that go for triple digits. Even if I don't want to buy those, they are awesome to see and hold up over time.

I'd much rather have 1999 Fleer Ultra Diamond Immortals Jeter than a low-numbered 2020 Topps Update parallel.

So I snagged a few, without much agenda other than they look cool and they hold up over time.
I'm sure this too shall pass, but for now, it's fun to see what's out there and add a few Jeters to my collection that have some personality to them.







8 comments:

  1. I like them a lot! Jeter is always great, and I always love die cuts. My fave from this post is the Stadium Club at the end. Love those.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's nice to find a new thing to go after & to liven things up. Bravo! These Die-Cuts look complicated & I think I pulled a muscle trying to understand how they done did 'em.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Die cutting is a lost art in the hobby. These designs are really creative...the Bright Spots in particular is an awesome design. Modern due cuts just have rounded corners, that's not fun or creative. My all time favorite NBA insert is the 1995-96 Stadium Club Beam Team set. Specifically the second series.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see several Jeter's I hadn't seen before.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that Bright Spots insert. Pretty sure he's the only guy who received an insert in the Series 1 and Series 2 sets.

    I kinda strayed from my normal path and started grabbing Duncan and Kobe rookies from around 2017 to 2019. Kinda glad I did... because their graded stuff is way overpriced these days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I miss die cuts. Too many basic cards out there now

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've found myself starting to do this in the last year or so as well. I think I'll leave the Jeter die-cuts for you though :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love die-cuts. Those are some awesome cards.

    ReplyDelete