Friday, August 27, 2021

The first of...a couple?

Yesterday, I received my first Anthony Rizzo card that depicts him as a New York Yankee.

Rizzo is a likable player, and I'm glad the Yankees acquired him. It's been too long since they've had a good power bat from the left side who plays an above average 1B, as well.

The move was sweet because it was unexpected, but also quickly balanced the Yankees lineup with two power lefty bats, since Joey Gallo was also brought on board.

Rizzo quickly endured himself to Yankee fans with a big HR in in his first game, and went on a small tear with RBIs in his first six games with the new squad. While he's struggled a touch since then, plus had a bout with Covid-19, I'm not worried about him in the slightest and think he'll be a really important player down the stretch run. He's settled into the number 2 spot in the lineup.
I decided to buy the first Topps NOW card that depicted Rizzo in a Yankees uniform, since I'm not sure how many Yankee cards he'll get. He's a pending free agent (I hope the Yankees re-sign him), and usually trade deadline acquisitions don't make it into Update, which is pretty weird. I'd rather Update print a month later and include the deadline deals versus waiting until Series One.

There was a previous Topps NOW card that featured the "TRADED" mark, but Rizzo was still in a Cubs jersey. That's an overlooked benefit of Topps NOW - being able to acquire cards of guys in new uniforms and not having to wait months.

Sadly, I missed the first Joey Gallo Yankees card, but since he's under contract next year, I'm not too worried about it, and expect him to have 500 Yankee cards next year.


5 comments:

  1. It'll be interesting to see if the Yankees decide to keep him after this season. They do still have Voit but it probably wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if they kept both. Or more realistically, kept Rizzo and then dangled Voit as trade-bait for whoever lost out in the Rizzo sweepstakes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll take Rizzy cards no matter what uniform he's wearing, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love Rizzo. So happy the Yankees got him ... maybe they can hang on to him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad that you got this card. He's certainly the best first baseman that the squad has had in a good number of years. Maybe takes the sting off the Greg Bird Experiment. I think he's a class act guy; though I'd like him more if he was vaccinated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking for the best place to buy Psychedelics Products Online ?

    Visit the website below and thank me latter

    buy MDMA without prescription


    buy magic mushrooms for depression


    where to buy lsd online

    ReplyDelete