Thursday, December 21, 2017

Jolly 'ol Johnny Claus pays me a visit

Johnny of Johnny's Trading Spot might win the fictional award of blogger who sent me the most cards in 2017. It felt like I was regularly coming home to packages and found Johnny's name on the return address. He's always keeping a look out for cool Yankees for me.

John sent me one of his famous mailings a few weeks ago. Included in the most recent package was this cool mini pennant too.
My favorite card was quite easily this Yankees Postseason Celebrations card from 2017 Topps Update. It features the Yankees taking a victory lap after Game 6 of the 2009 World Series. I was at this game, so it holds a special memory for me. I was only a few rows up from left field, and I remember the victory lap well. I may send it off to Brian Cashman for a TTM signature.
I was really happy to see Ronald Torreyes get a Topps card this year. Right now he's probably penciled in as the Yankees starting 2B, but he's more valuable in a utility role. Still, he's a fun player and a guy you like having on your team.
It's funny how the hobby has cooled on these two guys since 2015. After Bird's 11 HRs in 46 games in 2015, his cards were very pricey. Then he missed all of 2016 and most of 2017. Still, his has a bright future and is a tremendous hitter when healthy, as we saw at the end of 2017 and during the Playoffs. I would love to see what we could do in 130-140 games.
Similarly, Luis Severino enjoyed a ton of success in 2015 as a 21-year-old, took a step back in 2016, then only finished 3rd in the Cy Young Voting as a old man 23-year-old. But he definitely does not generate the hobby buzz like he did in 2015. I guess it's because of Judge and Sanchez, but I find it surprising that his cards aren't gobbled up more than they are. It's good for me.
I was thrilled Johnny sent me this Jordan Montgomery RC. I know the Yankees are looking for another SP, but look what this guy did as a rookie: 9-7 record in 29 starts. 155 innings pitched. 3.88 ERA. 144 Ks. 24 years old. Throws with his left arm. I think a lot of teams would sign up for a 24-year-old southpaw with that sort of ability. He's not going to be a front of the rotation guy, but he can be super valuable and reliable in the back of the rotation.
A couple of shiny veterans! I love the beam of light coming from Betances' glove.
I hadn't seen this card but thought it was cool. PROtential. That's funny. Cool to see the old Thunder logo there too.
Johnny, thanks for all of the 2017 care packages, my friend. Happiest of holidays to you and your family!

3 comments:

  1. The weird triangle thing in the background of the parallels to '17 flagship are finally starting to grow on me. Nice package from Johnny's Trading Spot.

    ReplyDelete