Friday, April 13, 2018

Friday the Zapteenth


A week or so ago, I got a nice bubble mailer – or a mini zapping – as he referred to it, from Zippy Zappy himself. While I don’t think it’s fair to classify it as a “mini” anything, I have been on the receiving end of his major zaps before, so I understand what he’s saying.

Still, it was a fun, generous package.
The highlight for me was this IP Domingo German autograph. I believe Zipster said he got this from an acquaintance who knows German, and he had two cards signed. He immediately said one was for me, which was so cool.

German has a lot of talent. He came to the Yankees from the Marlins in the Martin Prado/David Phelps for Nathan Eovaldi trade in 2014. After undergoing TJ Surgery in 2015, he made his big league debut last year and was called up to the Majors again last week. He had a nice outing in mop up duty of Sonny Gray last night, firing three innings of one-hit ball while striking out three.
 
Keeping it to autographs, we’ve got two: Mark Melancon and Nathan Mikolas. The Melcancon tricked me. It looks like a sticker but it’s not…it just has the outline there, I guess for the other stickers or so they all look the same, I don’t know. But the outline definitely make me believe it was a sticker autograph until I took the card out to scan it.

I just came across this great article that Mikolas is now acoach in the Marlins system. I hadn’t heard of him since the Yankees released him after the 2016 season, so cool to see he’s now on the other side helping to prepare young players.
Sweet relic of Chien-Ming Wang. I will never forget how running the bases ruined his career.
 
TTM fodder! I am definitely going to send these three cards out for a signature. I love the Bristro card from 2017 Choice. Also, Otto and Bristro have some very pun-able names, so I hope we get to see them with the Yankees one day.
And two cards of the Baby Bombers! While the Topps NOW inserts were a bit of an odd inclusion in 2018 Topps, it’s still a new Judge card. And Topps Fire was straight <fire emoji>, so that’s a great RC of the Yankees new villain Tyler Austin.

So sure, maybe it was “mini” compared to some previous zappings, but it still packed a big punch. Thanks, ZZ!

5 comments:

  1. No huge autograph names, no ancient vintage, no foreign exclusives. F- package.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah huh, I'm telling your mother you got zapped :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The design for the Bristro looks an awful lot like 2013 Topps. I've noticed a lot of minor league releases lately are stealing Topps designs.

    Cool zapping btw

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a guy who loves his relics and autos... this is a solid Zapping. But where are the trademark Japanese ladies he normally includes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TLC has kids and a family. Besides, the ladies are for people who I don't have enough ammo for. I have plenty of ammo regarding the Yankees though.

      Delete