Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Queen for a day


On Friday night, after a particularly stressful end of the week of work, I skipped out to Target after the kids went to bed. Saturday was the first day of tee ball, and I hadn’t bought my little guy an aluminum bat.

I went straight to sporting goods, which is basically an aisle near, but not in, the toy section and found a bat. No sense going to Dick’s and spending at least $30 for tee ball. Nope, a Rawlings at $14.99 will do. He had a few good rips during batting practice the next day and kept talking about how powerful his bat is. Pretty cool.

As one might expect, after I found the bat I just happened to take the long way to cash register and just happened to pass the card aisle. Quite a coincidence.

There really wasn’t much there except loose packs of Opening Day and two blasters of Gypsy Queen. I figured there wouldn’t be any Heritage, and I was right. Still, I hadn’t bought any retail since flagship, so snagged one of the blasters of GQ.

For someone with next to no luck within retail, I think I did ok! The first pack I opened was the back of parallels, which I guess are purplish? I’m not really sure. The best of the group was this Goldy.
In pack #2, these two cards were back to back.
I was really happy to get an Ohtani, of course. I’ll probably hang onto it, although it probably would have paid for the blaster.

As for the Devers, of course I get a Red Sox. But as many have noted, these cards are very awesome. Does anyone want to swap this for a Yankees tarot? If not, I’m sure this will end up with one of my Red Sox friends.

The next pack had this (odds 1:68), which is cool because I NEVER pull autographs. This is going to Zippy Zappy. The card was backwards in the pack, and I really hoped for Ohtani when I turned it around. Still cool to get some ink though.
In the next pack was my lone Yankees, Mr. Sanchez.
Lastly, I didn’t notice either of these until I was scanning the cards above. The codes are the same so they didn’t stick out when I did a code-check. Not bad pulls with the no nameplate Giolito and the logo swap Kimbrel. 
Overall, I gotta say it was a decent blaster, and a pretty fun rip. These cards are really nice, and I definitely think are one of the best products I’ve seen in a while between the base card design and attractive inserts.

5 comments:

  1. Gypsy Queen has always been one of my favorite products to rip. I wish they kept the minis, but love the insert series (Fortune Teller and Tarot). Is the Goldy the blackless parallel?

    Congrats on beating the odds with the auto

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good decision on the bat. As a coach with experience with such things, the quality of the bat really doesn't add much to the performance of the player until the high school years. That's when the skill level and the physical development of the player start to peak.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you would have got an Ohtani auto you could have sponsored a family vacation for a week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the hit and thanks for sending it to me. Now to beef up your actual Zapping...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome blaster! I've decided the only way I'll actually own an Ohtani rookie card is to find one in a blaster. Was hoping to find Gypsy Queen blasters... but had to settle for an Opening Day and a Series One blaster.

    ReplyDelete